The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Monday, May 23, 2005

My Kind of Show

I wrote about a show I went to see a few weeks ago. Mostly, I complained about how I was old and required creature comforts. This past Saturday, my requirements were met.

The Bread Winner and I went to see Vanida Gail perform at The Point. She used to be one of the two lead singers of one of Philadelphia's best local bands ever, June Rich. They broke up six or seven years ago. Very sad. But finally, Vanida Gail has put out her first solo CD, and last Saturday was the release party.

But enough about her. Let's talk about me. First of all, the show started at 7pm. 7PM. It was still light outside. Which, I have to admit, was a little weird. But also quite nice and relaxing. 10pm is my bedtime, and when shows start then, I'm already anticipating my own tiredness. But 7pm, that's more like it.

There was no opening act. And she was on the stage by 7:15 or so. Perfect.

There were chairs. We got to sit down and enjoy the show.

The Point is a non-smoking venue.

It's also primarily a cafe that also serves food. So I got to eat and drink an iced chai tea while I enjoyed the music.

Around 8:30pm, it was over. I was back at home before my bedtime.

All in all, it was a great experience. I know this is further validation of my oldness, but c'est la vie. As many reviewers have said about the Point, I have to agree. It is one of the Best Places to See Live Music. And I'm sure someone old wrote that.

3 Comments:

  • Yay, a good experience... That's great. I hope it helps to cancel out that other one. I just have to laugh out loud when you talk about being "old." I'm 60 and that's old but ya know, except for the outside, which I can't do a whole lot about, I don't feel intrinsically different than I ever did. Life's kind of weird that way. Just so I don't hit that point where I start to reverse the inward process I'll be happy. I'm glad you went out and enjoyed yourself. That counts as life enhancement (and it keeps you young)... ~:^)

    By Blogger foxymama, at 11:01 AM, May 24, 2005  

  • WOW...you are old...lol...kidding! But that's cool, because that's what makes you, you. You have an old soul. I have a friend who's similar like that. She likes to be in bed by 10 PM, and does all these other old lady things, but thats what makes her special. Her grandma says she has an old soul, and I think having an old soul is really unique, because it gives you a different perspective on the world and plus you have all this wisdom, that you just cant learn from books. So yeah. Rock on you old soul, you!

    By Blogger D.T., at 7:34 PM, May 25, 2005  

  • Foxy, You really don't feel differently than you did when you were 20? When I look at people 10 years younger than I am (i.e. 20), I feel very different. I remember wanting to do the things they do, like go out until 4 in the morning. Smoke didn't bother me. People being obnoxious were funny or scary but never just punks I'd like to slap and tell to grow up. I remember standing for hours and watching bad bands play bad music but feeling like I was really living, and now I can't be bothered. I vaguely remember those activities causing me physical and emotional discomfort, but thinking they were worth the price. Now, my physical and emotional comfort rank higher.

    DT, Ah, a youngster. Well, thanks for thinking that I have an old soul, but maybe it's really that I'm just old. See, I didn't used to be in bed by 10pm. I used to be fairly hip and cool. (Shocking, I know.) I think my attitudes now are more of a reflection of the fact that I'm a home owner, married, a child on the way, and 30, rather than a reflection on the age of my soul. But your version does sound better, so maybe I'll revise my opinion. :)

    By Blogger Oz, at 1:31 PM, May 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home