The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

If I Could Be

Whimsy Chick has tagged me to play a "if I could be" type of game. As she wrote in her post that played the game, "The rules are choose five from the list and write a description, then add one to the list and pass it along."

If I could be a scientist . . .

If I could be a farmer . . . I would have goats and chickens and horses. I wouldn't want to make my living as a farmer. Rather, I'd be a "gentleman" farmer. I'd have enough money to just do the things I like and not worry about making a profit. With my goats, I would get fresh milk and learn how to make cheese. With my chickens, I would get eggs of course. And would I breed some in order to eat? Hmm, I don't know about that. The horses would be purely for pleasure. I'd have only fat, pinto ponies who would live outside all year long and eat grass. My farm would be maybe 40 acres, and it would be somewhere with rolling hills and a cute, little tiny town nearby where the houses are made of stone, and my children would go to school in a one room school house.

If I could be a musician . . .
If I could be a doctor . . .

If I could be a painter . . . I would live in a seaside village that had existed for centuries. The weather would not be perfect nor the climate, and because of that, it would not be a mega resort area. Rather, people whose families had been there for generations would live there, probably making their living from fishing. I would paint scenes from the town like Sue McDonald and there would never be people in any of my paintings, and there would always be the ocean.

If I could be a gardener . . .
If I could be a missionary . . .

If I could be a chef . . . I would have a little, tiny restaurant that just me and my partner would work at (until our children were old enough to be forced into labor). Our restaurant would be in a small town, much like the one I mentioned in "If I could be a farmer," and it would be the only one there. Some people would come from out of town to eat there, but we'd basically be a well kept secret. We'd have theme nights once a week, where we would make Chinese food or Indian food or Mexican food, etc. etc., and everyone in the town would look forward to those nights and we'd have to draw a lottery to see which townspeople would get to come. Our normal menu would be comfort food, although we'd always have a tofu dish that the farmers would shake their heads at and their teenage daughters would order just to spite them.

If I could be an architect . . . I would only design buildings that were under 200 square feet. I would work closely with whomever was commissioning my work. Almost always, these would be people building a getaway cabin in the woods, either on their property or on some plot of land that they bought for a weekend retreat. The little houses I would design would blend in with the scenery around them so that you might not even see it there unless you were looking for it. I would always try to convince my clients to go for a stone fireplace, and then I would spend months combing the area that the little house would be, finding stones and carrying them back to the site, and by the time I had enough, months later, I would know that patch of land so well that I would be able to walk amongst the trees blindfolded.

If I could be a linguist . . .
If I could be a psychologist . . .
If I could be a librarian . . .
If I could be an athlete . . .
If I could be a lawyer . . .
If I could be an inn-keeper . . .

If I could be a professor . . . I would teach in a small, private college that had no set majors. Each student would arrive and start taking classes that they liked, and after two years, they would have to design their own major. I would teach folklore, and no one would ever want to major in folklore, because what could you do with such a major? But everyone would take my class in that first year or two, and that would make them think about real people and real lives, and the research for their final paper would almost always lead them to whatever their major would end up being, and they would say, "Now I know why everyone takes this class." And I would not give out letter grades, only pass/fail. And in the fall, I would wander around the campus with a little leather notebook in my hand and a twead jacket with leather elbow pads, and I would smell the air, and watch the golden, orange, and red leaves fall down, and I would wonder about all the students I would meet that year and what I would learn from them.

If I could be a writer . . .
If I could be a llama-rider . . .
If I could be a bonnie pirate . . .
If I could be an astronaut . . .
If I could be a world famous blogger . . .
If I could be a justice on any one court in the world . . .
If I could be married to any current famous political figure . . .
If I could be a show dog owner. . .
If I could be a fictional character. . .

If I could be a species other than human . . .

I added that last one. And to fulfill my final obligation to the game, I tag Foxy Mama. I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

7 Comments:

  • I really enjoyed reading about the part where if you were an artist. If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be in a place just like that.

    A little small seaside island, that greets you with gloopy greyish mud filled with seaseed and golden sand that stretches for miles...rocky coves, filled with small aquatic marine life and white billowing clouds that cover the sky...smells of the sea and fried shrimp from a small seafood restaurant fill the air...now thats paradise...

    By Blogger D.T., at 2:54 AM, June 01, 2005  

  • Okay, the deed is done. I only did it for you and I'm afraid I'm not as facile with it as you, but I did do it so now I'm freeeeeeeeee...wheeeee...

    By Blogger foxymama, at 2:13 AM, June 03, 2005  

  • David, I had no idea that you were so good at waxing poetic. That was quite a beautiful little paragraph you wrote.

    Foxy, Well, thanks for playing the game, and I'm sorry if it caused you any unhappiness. Now I know not to subject you to anything like that again!

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:32 AM, June 07, 2005  

  • Oz - Oh, it really wasn't sooo bad. Don't be sorry. I'm honored you picked me (shhh, don't tell anyone I said that). I just didn't want to give anyone the impression that I was 'easy'...you know, just in case... I've seen some of the things going round some of the blogs. ~;^) But for you, kiddo, it was an experience. I surprised myself. ~:^)

    By Blogger foxymama, at 11:31 PM, June 07, 2005  

  • This game seems very exciting but it is hard to imagine each of detail. If I keep trying this game, I will be able to have a good imagination. I will try!!

    By Blogger mai, at 12:49 PM, June 15, 2005  

  • I think Penn. State actually has offeres a Ph.D. in Folklore.

    By Blogger Newell, at 7:55 PM, August 11, 2005  

  • Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link of restaurant philadelphia.

    By Blogger tom naka, at 2:09 AM, October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home