The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Monday, March 07, 2005

Ramblings

I don't have much to say, but I'd like to manage a post at least every week, so here goes.

I'm off to Connecticut today to lounge around in a hotel while the Bread Winner goes to some sort of training for her job. I've done this several times, and I love it. Something about staying in a hotel appeals to me. Especially when there's a pool around that I can swim in. I like being in water. Unfortunately, it's not something I get to do that often.

Of course, going away for a few days means one thing: dealing with dogs! Thus far, my mother has watched three of our dogs (the two little ones and Chester) while Blue stays with a friend of mine who worked with him while he was at the shelter. I met her the same day I met him actually.

As my mother has four dogs of her own (yes, my whole family is crazy) adding three more to the mix makes for a crazy house. Blue gets the best deal staying with Beth Marie and her three dogs. Even though he makes four dogs, trust me when I tell you that four dogs is far and away a drastically smaller number when compared to seven dogs. Plus, Beth Marie's dogs are all older, so it's pretty quiet there.

I've been keeping my eye out for a good place for Chester to stay. He doesn't get along well with one of my mother's dogs, and all the craziness of the house really stresses him out. So I managed to get another friend of mine, Hope, to agree to watch him for this trip. She only has one dog (can you imagine!). Last week was spent 1) being sick 2) dealing with mid-terms and 3) running Chester back and forth to Hope's house to acclimate him to her place and get used to her and her dog.

I really hope that this works out well. For one, it makes my mother's life easier not to have to deal with seven dogs at once. Secondly, it should be a lot better for Chester...once he settles down at least.

The other thing on the agenda is a rush to make my first DVD. I have a few hours of video of my grandmother talking about her life, and I want to be able to give it to her children (my mother and an aunt and an uncle) in time for my grandmother's birthday, which is this Friday. Since I'm going away, I need to do this now. As I have zero experience with iMovie or iDVD, it's proving to be a little more difficult than I had imagined. I'm burning....something right now. I hope it's what I think it is! And it looks like it's going to take a while. I hope it doesn't take as long as the video is. If it does, I'm going to run out of time...or I'm going to have to pack up my iMac and bring it with me to Connecticut.

And that's pretty much what I've got going on right now. I'll try to post something more interesting next week.

4 Comments:

  • iMovie is pretty easy.. once you get into the swing of things. iDVD is a little tricky... that stuff is tough to figure out by yourself.. easier when i had people showing me. hahah.. good luck! i think you can totally finish it by friday. do you have a powerbook? you should load it all up and work on it by the pool :P

    By Blogger Jean, at 1:13 PM, March 07, 2005  

  • Well, since I'm leaving today, I need to finish it today. It needs to be put into the mail tomorrow if it's going to make it to San Diego by Friday. Goddamn it takes a long ass time to burn a DVD! BTW, I have an iBook, and it just doesn't have the space to load up as much video as I have to deal with. Also, no superdrive. C'est la vie.

    By Blogger Oz, at 4:24 PM, March 07, 2005  

  • Imagine how tough it would be if you weren't using something like iMovie or iDVD.

    I can just see the Windows software for that sort of thing having about 70 different options, none of which you care about, and having to wade through them all before you can finally BURN THE FREAKING DVD ALREADY.

    The nice thing about the Mac software for all of this is that since you clicked a button and it says "burning," you probably clicked the right one.

    By Blogger Greg, at 9:48 PM, March 14, 2005  

  • Greg, You're probably right that it's easier on a Mac (I've never tried with a PC). But I'm still stunned at how long it takes to burn. It took over two hours to burn less than one hour of footage--and that was with the "supposedly" faster burn option of "best performance." I had no idea. I assumed the longest possible burn time would be the actual running time of the footage. Llive and learn....

    By Blogger Oz, at 2:22 PM, March 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home