The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Monday, February 07, 2005

What? No Fair!

As you might already know from reading my blog, I love the girl-on-girl action on television. That is the reason that I watch All My Children--for the lesbian character, Bianca Montgomery. Of course, she rarely does "lesbian" things, like have a girlfriend, hold hands with a girl, or kiss a girl, but every now and then, the writers throw us a bone, and it's enough to satisfy me for months at a time. For instance, Bianca's girlfriend left the show last April. They shared a brief kiss...and that was pretty much it for any lesbian activity since then...and that was what? Eight months ago? Nine? But that was okay because I knew that it could happen again...sometime. And I could wait.

Then on January 31, my prayers were answered and Bianca kissed another girl, Maggie. Yippee! And this was a good kiss, too. Better than the ones she'd had with girlfriend #1. Although I knew that any physical displays of affection would be spaced far apart, I was nonetheless very excited about this development. So this morning, I decided to do a little research into the actresses who play Bianca and Maggie. Mostly looking to see if they'd been interviewed about their characters' romance, etc. And what did I discover? Both actresses are leaving the show on February 24!

Will I keep watching AMC? I just don't know. I really, really, really liked watching a lesbian character. Even one who went for eight months at a time without glancing at another girl. I wouldn't have started watching this show if it wasn't for Bianca, and now that she's going...will I bother?

Honestly, I feel cheated and betrayed by AMC, even though it seems like the actress who plays Bianca has decided to leave and has not been fired. I guess it's the contrast of emotions. I was so happy about the new romance, only to learn that it has a maximum shelf life of what? Less than four weeks? No fair. No fair at all.

15 Comments:

  • But wont they replace her with another actress?

    By Blogger D.T., at 4:29 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • There's no plans to do that right now. Since both of the actresses (who play Bianca and Maggie) are leaving the show on the same date, I'm assuming that they are going to "ride off into the sunset" together. From what I've gathered, Eden Riegel (Bianca) chose to leave, and since they're not recasting her, they're booting Elizabeth Hendrickson (Maggie) at the same time. (Maggie wouldn't have much of a storyline without Bianca.) Again, I can only assume that the characters will officially hook up and leave as a couple.

    By Blogger Oz, at 5:01 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • talk about not responding to comments...


    i still have that letter i wrote to you... please let me know where to send it. thanks, amanda

    By Blogger The Girl, at 5:16 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • Amanda, Sorry, my dear. When did you leave that comment? Must have been days after I wrote the post. I don't go back and check all the comments for all my posts every day. I assume that once a new post is up, people will comment there. And look, see? It's worked like a charm. Here is your response. Feel free to send me email an ozzilyn@gmail.com .

    By Blogger Oz, at 7:37 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • i'm sorry that bianca is leaving. hmm.. i wonder what they are going to do ... i've totally lost touch with the show. but.. have you seen dodgeball? or do you watch the OC? supposedly there's supposed to be a kiss next week.. last week was hand holding.. hahah.. the girl alex is pretty hot too.. although i'm not so much a mischa barton fan..

    By Blogger Jean, at 7:53 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • I'm fascinated by lesbians. I can't explain it. I rented The Urbz: Sims in the City a couple weeks ago, and I was so happy when my female character formed romantic relationships with other female characters. There's just something appealing to me about girls with girls.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 11:24 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • Whimsy, Oz - I'm with you 100%.

    By Blogger Chuck, at 1:12 AM, February 08, 2005  

  • Jean, Is there an actual lesbian character on the OC? Or is it one of those, "I'm confused! I think I'll kiss a girl once and get BIG ratings and then go right back to guys so middle America feels okay about itself!!!"? If there's an actual lesbian character, I might have to break down and watch this show...... And here I though that when 90120 and Dawson's were over, my teen soap days were behind me.....

    Kerrie, Yes! Yes! We need more straight people in the middle of the country saying that they want some girl on girl action in television! Write to your congressman! ;)

    Chuck, Ditto what I wrote to Kerrie!

    By Blogger Oz, at 11:13 AM, February 08, 2005  

  • It may sound stereotypically male, but girl-on-girl anything is hOt, with a capital O.

    By Blogger Dan, at 3:25 PM, February 08, 2005  

  • Dan, I'm with you on this one. But take it easy, buddy. Don't let these thoughts case you to throw out your back again!

    By Blogger Oz, at 2:20 PM, February 09, 2005  

  • the new girl Alex is supposed to be a lesbian.. or bisexual i guess because she dated one of the characters after dumping her girlfriend. and now she's "becoming involved" with mischa barton's character who i think is "confused"... i'm not too sure.. i don't really watch it either, but i have started to catch some episodes as i tape it for my sister. but i heard on the radio that this week's episode is the "good one" if you know what i mean. hahah..

    and i've always wondered.. why girl on girl stuff is always "hot" but guy on guy stuff is usually less enticing and accepted :P

    By Blogger Jean, at 2:35 PM, February 09, 2005  

  • As far as I've heard, (I saw an interview with Mischca the other day), the two become an "item" for a while. Plus, I read something that she said about enjoying the girl-on-girl kisses a lot more than others...Less stressful, she said, and a lot softer. Hmmm!

    By Blogger Katrina, at 1:00 PM, February 11, 2005  

  • Jean, I did catch the episode. Well, not the whole thing because I'm still watching Joey (I don't know why--it's not very good, but I loved Friends so what the heck?) Anyway, I watched the last 25 minutes of The OC I basically sort of watched in confusion until THE KISS. It was okay. Maybe it would have been hotter for me if I had a connection to the characters like I do with AMC.... But thanks for pointing it out to me! Girl-on-girl action alerts are always welcomed!

    Katrina, Yeah, "softer" is the catch phrase that straight actresses use to describe girl-girl kisses. That's exactly what Eden Riegel said about her first girl-girl kiss. I honestly can't attest to it myself. Of course I've kissed guys before, but there was a number of years where I kissed no one before I kissed a girl, so the comparison wasn't an striking to me. But I can say that girl's bodies are much softer than mens. I have male friends, and I've given them massages and hugs and that sort of thing. Women are very, very soft. Quite nice, if you're into that sort of thing. :)

    By Blogger Oz, at 2:13 PM, February 11, 2005  

  • Why don't you write the network? They may not realize that they have an appeal to an important segment of the population. If they know that's why you're watching(and I'm sure you are not alone), they may bring the characters back and fully develop them.

    By Blogger Diva, at 5:14 PM, February 13, 2005  

  • Elizabeth Hendrickson was not "booted" She asked to leave when Eden was leaving.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:08 PM, April 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home