The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Is This Because I'm a Lesbian?

All of you Law & Order fans won't have any trouble picking up on this not-so-clever post title as a line stolen right out of last night's episode. It might be the most bizarre non-sequitur ever uttered on Law & Order, possibly on television in general.

I find it particularly amusing because, although many Law & Order fans hated Elizabeth Rohm, aka A.D.A. Serena Southerlyn, I actually came back to the show once I saw her on it because I thought she was hot.



She did it for me. I'd had a big crush on Jill Hennessy when she was the A.D.A., but the two women who followed didn't get my juices flowing. For whatever reason, Elizabeth Rohm did. So while I was displeased that Rohm was leaving the show--and getting fired at that--I was giddy with delight at her next to last line: "Is this because I'm a lesbian?"

Okay, first of all, it's completely unbelievable that "Serena Southerlyn" was a lesbian. Secondly, the timing of the line was a bit far fetched. I mean, if someone fires you, someone like an attorney general--you know, an elected official, a politician--do you really expect them to say, "Yeah, I did fire you because you're a lesbian." I'm not saying that's why she was fired. Not at all. I'm just commenting that her asking the question is a little silly. There's only one possible answer: No.

But like I said, although it was unbelievable, I was still happy to hear it. I've heard a rumor that Television Without Pity (a great fan sit of all things TV) might come out with Law & Order t-shirts with "Is this because I'm a lesbian?" emblazoned upon them. While browsing the Law & Order forum this morning (now renamed "Original Law & Order: Is this because I'm a lesbian?"), I picked up a great idea from a poster whose handle is "add_duck":

Those last 45 seconds almost made up for four crappy years, if for no other reason than I now have the greatest all-purpose line with which to stun unsuspecting bystanders.

Overworked Airline Employee: I'm sorry, there are no seats left on this flight.
add_duck: Is that because I'm a lesbian???!!!
Overworked Airline Employee: ...

Unless, of course, the OAE is also an L&O fan, in which case we'll share a mighty chuckle at [Elizabeth Rohm]'s expense. I predict that this will also be useful with waiters, teachers, and telemarketers. I also hope to con my father and/or male roommate into using this line.

8 Comments:

  • Law and Order is a fine show, but since I already watch too much T.V., I felt guilty watching it last night. The last 45 seconds made it all worthwhile.

    I'm thinking of trying out the line in the future as well, but I think the reaction I get will be somewhat different due to my gender.

    By Blogger Steve, at 3:28 PM, January 13, 2005  

  • She's HOT!

    By Blogger Dan, at 8:35 PM, January 15, 2005  

  • I like the show...A LOT. I love L&O. I sort of thought maybe Serena was on her way out but I don't read about the show so I was all nervous for her when she was in there making small talk when I KNEW she was about to get canned. Man what a great show.

    Anyway, what's also great is that you get to know so little about the characters, yet they are very developed. I don't know, but for me it let's my imagination run wild. And imagination running wild with Elizabeth Rohm was...um...exciting.

    So, I had in my imagination a whole character to fill in the gaps, and they blew it out of the water. Awesome, totally awesome.

    I'd like to see the next ADA that comes on be conservative like the DA and try to take on McCoy but get schooled by him. If she happens to be smart, hot and red headed, even better. What? Annie Parisse isn't a red head? Oh well.

    Also, did you count how many cashmere over coats Joe Fontana wore that episode?

    By Blogger Wheelson, at 3:08 AM, January 16, 2005  

  • Steve, Your comment about getting a different response because of your gender is sort of the point in doing it. I mean, her question was so out of left field. It just didn't make any sense. It made about as much sense as if she had been a man and asked, "Is this because I'm a lesbian?" You just look at her like, "What the hell are you talking about?" That's probably why I won't be able to use this line (except with people who will understand the Law & Order context). Becuase I am a lesbian, someone might take me seriously!

    Dan, She is hot. I'm going to miss staring at her every Wednesday night....

    Wheelson, I also like how L&O doesn't spend a lot of time on character development. It does make it easy to imagine a life for them. It also makes it easier for them to switch characters in and out like they do so frequently. But I certainly enjoy the hints that you do get about them. Like about Jack's father being a mean cop, and Orbach's alcoholism. So they do drop little hints here and there. From reading fan sites of people far more obsessed with L&O than I am, I've learned that there were no hints about Serena's sexuality. On the contrary, she's mentioned previous boyfriends from time to time. Now, of course that doesn't mean that they weren't just that: previous. But still. I can understand why people would be upset by the lack of any hint whatsoever about her sexaulity. Seems a bit like cheating on the writers' part. Nonetheless, I'm happy to think about Elizabeth Rohm as a lesbian from here on out!

    By Blogger Oz, at 2:16 PM, January 16, 2005  

  • hey sweetie pie.

    she is hot. i agree. though i dont watch law and order. i used to watch la law though. lol

    i like the lesbian chick from arrested development (ally mcbeal). she is too good for ellen d, that is for sure.

    happy new year, and thanks for your support during my absence.
    xxooo

    By Blogger Vadergrrrl, at 8:44 PM, January 16, 2005  

  • Ah, she is indeed hot like a grilled cheese sandwich. Sadly though, I'm a L&O:SVU man all the way. Just one scene with Mariska Hargitay and Stephanie March, and I'm on the floor swooning...

    By Blogger Tim, at 2:36 PM, January 17, 2005  

  • Hey Vader, Glad you're back online!

    Tim, I've never gotten into L&O:SVU. When I heard that "special victims" were victims who had been raped, etc., I never bothered to watch it.

    By Blogger Oz, at 9:21 AM, January 18, 2005  

  • and why, pray tell, is it so impossible for you to believe that her character was a lesbian?

    not all of us wear flannel and have packs of cigarettes rolled up in our shirt sleeves.

    jesus.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 AM, March 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home