The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I Really Do Hate School

It's only the second week and already I'm sinking into a depression. Ug. I have to write a composition in French every week. This is the first week, and I'm about ready to poke out my eyes with the hard plastic corner of my dictionary cover. If someone came up to me right now and said, "How about I just jam toothpicks underneath your fingernails, and then you can just forget about that whole composition thing?" I would offer my hands immediately.

This friggin' composition only needs to be 25 lines long! That's not much! Except when you need to up every other goddamn word. I've pretty much got the articles down. You know, words that translate to "the," "a," and "some." Those words I'm all set with. And pronouns. Got those as well. It's all those other words. Even words that I know, like the word for "clothes." I know what that word is. But how, exactly, does one spell it? Isn't there that weird hat shaped accent on one of those E's? Better look it up. AGHHHHHHH! Toothpicks, please.

And then there is the online board that is taking over education. That evil entity called, innocuously, Blackboard. Oh, how I've hated you from the beginning. But you won't go away. Instead, you spread. The most amazing thing about Blackboard is that teachers think that students love it. Uh, no. All it does is make it impossible to leave school at school, because now it has infilitrated my house via my innocent iBook G4! Bastard. I would describe the excrutiating pain I went through with Blackboard when I only had a dial-up connection, but there might be children reading this, and I won't subject them to such descriptions of violence.

In the year and a half since I've taken a class, I've gotten high speed access. I thought, "Maybe it won't be so bad this time." Foolish, foolish woman. Blackboard sensed that I was making advances and has decided, arbitrarily, to refuse to allow me to logon to it at all. When I saw the message, Could not login. The specified user name does not exist in the system, all I could think to ask was, "Is this because I'm a lesbian?" And of course, because Blackboard is so wonderful, my teacher for tonight's class has put three out of the four readings for tonight on Blackboard. I mean, why spend time reading from the textbook she made us buy? That's too convenient!

I took that long break from school because school was about to break me. I'm not ashamed to admit that I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to step away. Time has gone by and softened my memory. School wasn't that bad. I was just a little overwhelmed by a lot of things. School was just a small part of it. Right? WRONG! I really hate school. I just don't have the will to put up with all this crap anymore. Unfortunately, I've got two semesters left.

6 Comments:

  • haha.. i'm sorry. that's probably the part i miss the least about school. aside from the tests and what not.

    yes. buy the iMac g5... 20" we'll be buddies. you TOTALLY deserve it :) look at what you have to go through! :P

    By Blogger Jean, at 4:02 PM, January 19, 2005  

  • I would never suggest that you use a translating program to write your essays for you, but if I were to suggest a translating program, I would tell you to check out Sherlock which should already exist on your Mac. You type in the words/phrases/sentences that you want translated, select which languages you are translating from and to, and voila! At the very least, maybe you could have it translate all the words that you don't know, and you could do the rest yourself. It wouldn't really be much different than looking up all those words individually in a book. It would just be quicker. :)

    J'aime apprendre le fran├žais. Je n'aime pas beaucoup de travail.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 11:18 AM, January 20, 2005  

  • Jean, Hmmm, I think I'm going to do it. The Bread Winner isn't quite convinced yet....but I'm working on it. :)

    Kerrie, Oh my. I had no idea what that application was. This is dangerous. I will certainly use it as a dictionary from now on. The only problem is going to be preventing myself from using it to translate sentences. And that will be quite tempting......

    By Blogger Oz, at 2:37 PM, January 20, 2005  

  • You know...if youre really having that much trouble with your computer, maybe you should start thinking about changing your sexuality...

    LOL...no! I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

    But seriously, even though school does get really hard sometimes, you have to stick to it and go the distance, while remembering that every mile, will be worth your while. At least that's what the voices in my head say...

    By Blogger D.T., at 2:02 AM, January 22, 2005  

  • I don't know why but all I can think of is Ralphie in A Christmas Story when his teacher told the class they had to do "a theme..." I wonder how you'd translate a Red Ryder Carbine Action Range Model BB gun with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time..? I think I must not have gotten enough sleep last night or something. Hang in there Oz. This too shall pass... ~:^)

    By Blogger foxymama, at 8:50 PM, January 25, 2005  

  • DT, Worth it? I'm not so sure. But I've sunk too much money into this venture to bail out now!

    Foxy, I'm doing the best I can. Glad to see you around these parts again!

    By Blogger Oz, at 9:03 AM, January 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home