The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Friday, December 03, 2004

One Foot in Stirrup, Into the Saddle Soon

I'm going back to school, boys and girls. In just about six weeks, I will be attending classes...again. I've written about my school woes once before, and now I can proudly say that, only a mere four months after that post, I've gotten off my ass and done something about my situation.

My major (probably all majors) has an end of the semester party, and the comparative literature party was this past Wednesday. I put on my party clothes (you know--sparkly vest, spandex pants, and a cowboy hat), and I headed back to campus. I needed to see a certain professor, although I wasn't sure if she would be there since she is no longer the chair of the undergrad department anymore. But alas, she was there.

She looked at me as I walked into the room and said, "So you're coming back." I said, "That's up to you, isn't it?" I said it in a nice, subservient way--not the bitchy, scarcastic way you might have expected. No, I approached humble, (cowboy) hat in hand. I was finally ready to deal with the consequences of my actions...or, er, inactions as they were.

But essentially, there are no consequences. She was nice and friendly, and we both pretended that the Argument from Spring 2003 had never happened. She says she will write the email that will allow me to take classes this spring. She also said that she would let me finish my honor's thesis over the summer and into next fall. Yippee skippy! Can't ask for anything more than that.

I met with my regular college advisor this morning, and I basically heard from him what I expected to hear. I'm taking two classes this spring: my last French class and some sociology class that will fill a requirement.

It's hard to fathom that I will finally be back in school next semester. Finally finishing up these last classes. I'm a student again. Or just about.

10 Comments:

  • As someone who is in very much the same situation myself, I am wondering. What are your school plans after you have the baby? Or do you expect to be finished by then?

    Now, I know you only have a handful of classes, so maybe you'll be finished before baby comes. I only have 6 more classes, but 3 of them must be taken in order and they are only offered Fall and Winter. That basically means that the very earliest I can finish is December 2006, and with any luck, Baby will happen long before that.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 3:48 PM, December 03, 2004  

  • Good news Oz!

    I love being a student, and much to consternation of my parents am showing no signs of stopping any time soon. Even more to their chagrin is that I'm spending my time doing anything but work. Got to make the most of it after all, right?

    By Blogger Fyse, at 7:25 PM, December 03, 2004  

  • Ok wait...please tell me that you did not wear the sparkly vest, spandex pants, and cowboy hat to that party. PLEASE! I'm sorry, but no one, absolutely no one, can pull off that outfit without a fluffy sequined boa. It's just not possible.

    By Blogger D.T., at 10:06 PM, December 03, 2004  

  • Kerrie, I know you've read my other blog (at least a few times), so you've read my posts on timing. Hopefully, I will have a baby before I'm done with school, but I'm not putting off anything with the expectation that something else will happen. For instance, if I am pregnant now, my due date would be in August. I should finish the going-to-classes portion of my degree next fall. What will I do with a baby and classes? I don't know, but I'll figure it out. My university does have a (very pricey) daycare. Anyway, I can't control when I'll conceive. My priorities are 1) have a family followed by 2) finish school. Hopefully I can do both.

    Fyse, I used to think I'd like to be in school forever, but I've discovered that is not the case AT ALL. What I want most is to be done with it! You might change your mind down the road yourself....or not.

    DT, Did I forget the boa? It was fluffy by the way. I'm not sure how you can have a fluffy and sequinned boa, as sequins are not fluffy, but if I run across one, I'll wear it next time. :)

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:39 PM, December 03, 2004  

  • Actually, while I'm enjoying student life and don't want it to stop yet, I have now got to the stage where I can see a time when I will. I have friends living and working in Cambridge, having graduated last year, and when I visit them I do find myself slightly envious of their proper houses and healthy finances. The best thing about university life is the atmosphere of Cambridge and the many hundreds of like minded people, but if I could have all that and be out in the real world, I'd probably take it. As yet, however, I have no idea what branch of the 'real world' I want to go into...

    By Blogger Fyse, at 6:04 AM, December 04, 2004  

  • It takes a huge amount of courage to return. I admire you for having the fortitude to take the leap.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:51 PM, December 05, 2004  

  • Fyse, Ah, the essential question: what do I want to do with my life? Good luck. I know very few people who has a satisfactory answer to that question.

    Anonymous, Thanks for the encouraging words! And thanks for stopping by! :)

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:11 AM, December 06, 2004  

  • I've been a little out of the loop for the last couple days, so excuse the lateness... Way to go, OZ!

    By Blogger Dan, at 11:14 AM, December 06, 2004  

  • Yay! It was hard for me going back, but I'm so glad I did. And now I'm going on further than I had ever planned to the first time through. It's much better this time around.

    Good luck! I hated French. :(

    By Blogger Cattiva, at 9:55 AM, December 07, 2004  

  • Dan, Thanks!

    Cattiva, Well, I'm sick and tired of school at this point. I've never hated it as much as I do now. Granted that I haven't taken a class in over a year, I've been going to Penn since 1999. I'm ready for it to be done, but in order for that to happen, obviously I must finish the work....dammit!

    By Blogger Oz, at 12:27 PM, December 07, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home