The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A Little Confused About Two Things

First

I was editing some photos yesterday, and I had the tv on in the background. I heard the music of a commercial--it sounded nice--and I looked up occasionally, not consciously taking note. But eventually, through my disinterest, it registered: The commercial was for the United States Postal Service.

Does the Post Office need to advertise? Are there other options? Sure, maybe for mailing packages, or sending stuff "express" or "priority" or whatever. Then, yes, you've got a bunch of choices, and I've seen Post Office commercials for that sort of thing, and that makes sense. But this ad had people getting Christmas cards and letters. Now, if you're sending a letter, is there another realistic option? Is this why they keep raising the price of stamps? To run stupid, unnecessary ads?

Secondly

A couple of weeks ago, I went out to have lunch with a friend. It was a rather large restuarant that has the internal stylings of a diner. (I can't actually call it a diner, because to me, a diner is small, and this place is huge.) When our waitress came up to take our order, I could not help but notice that she had a rather large mole--about a quarter inch or so in diameter--on her right cheek. Growing from the mole were three long hairs.

And I mean long. They were like an inch long. They grew out of the mole and then curled back in a long arc until the tips touched the woman's cheek.

Why on earth had the woman not plucked these hairs? I just don't understand that. Is there a cultural or religious prohibition against plucking mole hairs?

I grow a hair or two on my chin. As soon as I can even feel it there with my finger--when it's maybe a couple of milimeters long and not even distinguishable from the peach fuzz type hairs that are normally found on anyone's face--as soon as I sense it there, I get the tweezers and pull the hair out. Sure, from time to time, it sneaks up on me and it might be a little longer than that. Luckily, its location beneath my chin does a good job of hiding it anyway, and it's not black either.

I cannot imagine having a long ass, black hair growing out of a huge mole on my cheek, and not relentless plucking it. I just don't get it.

8 Comments:

  • I have a beard.

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:19 AM, November 09, 2004  

  • But do you have a commercial loan?

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:31 AM, November 09, 2004  

  • True.

    By Blogger Dan, at 12:22 PM, November 09, 2004  

  • ew.. that's kind of gross. i have always wondered about people not plucking their hairs on moles.. even in guys. i get hair on my upper lip. i feel so... manly.. it's kind of sucky. plus they're black, so they're more noticeable. yuk.

    i guess the postal service just wants to remind people to buy stamps or something. the reason they keep raising the price of stamps is because no one really send mail anymore. i definitely don't write as many letters as i do when i was little. now you can send email, pay bills online, sign up for stuff online, who uses stamps? i guess they fear that people will just send e-christmas cards or something (although that is super tacky for anyone considering it).

    By Blogger Jean, at 6:33 PM, November 09, 2004  

  • lmfao Great post.

    I so agree. 1. why does the us postal service need commercials? what other options do we have for letters? I guess the postal reputation needs help. lol

    2. eeek. why would someone let their hairs grow like that. and they work customer service, and in the food industry? zoiks... talk about apetite kill.

    though the feminist in me says, let them be all natural, the grrrlie girl in me says.. pluck them hairs. yuk.

    xxxooooo

    By Blogger Vadergrrrl, at 12:03 AM, November 10, 2004  

  • Dan, Word.

    Jean, I'm not sure I'm buying the "email is the reason for hiked up stamp prices" theory. I've heard it before. However, I remember stamp price jumps from before there was email. Actually, I don't mind the price of stamps if it's going to pay employees. Fine. But if it's going to pay for stupid, pointless ads...then I mind a little.

    Vader, I don't think the plucking mole hairs thing is really a feminist issue. More cultural. As Jean pointed out, it's not acceptable for men either. If there are long hairs growing out of your mole, PLUCK THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS!

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:33 AM, November 10, 2004  

  • Wow... I don't stop by for a few days and this is what I come back to.

    By Blogger Newell, at 6:14 PM, November 12, 2004  

  • I know a beautiful Philippina woman who has a large mole on her cheek and it also has long hairs growing from it. They also grow in a kind of swirl but look like baby hairs (very fine). They are not dark, course, witch hairs that I have normally seen sprotting from a woman's mole. I one time asked her why she didn't cut or remove the hairs and she said she left them alone so they would stay soft and not become darker, longer and course. I hate to say it but they don't look bad. I've even wanted to touch them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM, February 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home