The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Thursday, November 18, 2004

How Bad Do You Want It?

When I started this blog, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I didn't know what I would write about. I didn't know if I would like blogging. I just sort of flopped around for a while until I found the groove I'm in right now. I like this groove. I like what I'm doing. I like the idea of writing every week and having something that I can look back on later in life. I like the idea of my kids maybe reading this stuff 15 years from now, and maybe through reading this blog they'll realize that I'm more than the lady who makes them do their homework or sets their curfew. Yes, I've started to see my blog as a sort of legacy I can leave behind.

But that means I have to be able to leave it behind. Since this blog is online in the care of the blogger system, I just assumed that it was protected. I wouldn't have to worry about printing it out or backing it up or any of that stuff. Blogger was taking care of it. Then I read this post from Wheelson. In it, Wheelson says, "Does Blogger maintain backups of everyone's Blogger data? Doubtful, and even if they did they sure as hell aren't going to restore just your blog for you." That's a good point. What if something did happen to just my blog? Or maybe to just 10 or 15 blogs? How far out of their way would blogger go to restore such a tiny amount of data?

Wheelson wrote that post last week, and I still haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Wheelson advised, "Take the time soon to take stock of your data, and determine its worth to you." I've done just that. It is worth something to me. Wheelson also linked to blogger's backup process and commented that blogger "does not make it easy for you to back up." I checked the link out, and he's right. Blogger does not make it easy. I'm probably going to go through all ten steps anyway. I've grown attached to this blog. I've grown attached to what I've said. I don't want to lose it.

It's occured to me that there's an easier way to back-up, and I'm going to try this method, too. The only problem here is that you lose the comments. But here goes. This is easiest for those who do monthly archiving as opposed to weekly. Open up a month's worth of your blog by clicking on the link in your sidebar. From your view menu, select "view source" or "page source" or whatever it is that will allow you to see the source code. Voila, there's everything in html code. Copy it. Paste it into a document and save it. Repeat for each month's worth of your blog. There's a back-up. It ain't pretty, but it's there, and it's quick, and it's easy.

6 Comments:

  • Blogger really ought to sort out a proper back-up system. They're obviously aware of it's importance, otherwise they wouldn't have that page explaining the current unsatisfactory method. Maybe they have some reason for making it tricky, but I can't see what it could be.

    By Blogger Fyse, at 10:46 AM, November 18, 2004  

  • Yeah, I was surprised at how complex it was, too. Should just be the push of a button somewhere if you ask me.

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:28 AM, November 19, 2004  

  • This raises so many interesting issues. Blogger is free, yet it's very important to many of it's users. However, is it important enough to pay for? If so, do we still elect to use the free service because it's "good enough"? How much functionality should a free service deliver to it's users?

    On the other hand, a reasonably priced Blog system that is a snap to use and feature rich is basically limited to TypePad. If your blog is important to you and you think it's matured into a service that you feel like paying for...check out TypePad.

    Will Blogger take on TypePad one day by offering similar fee based services? Bet on it.

    By Blogger Wheelson, at 2:49 PM, November 22, 2004  

  • Wheelson, I will check out TypePad at some point. For now, I'm going to try to resolve this issue myself by coming up with a way to back-up the data. If I can't find a usable way, maybe I do have to pay for TypePad. But I wonder how they charge. For instance, I have four blogs with blogger. Does TypePad charge per blog? Or do they give you a certain amount of storage space? I'd have to look into these issues and others if I considered going somewhere that I had to pay.

    By Blogger Oz, at 7:33 PM, November 22, 2004  

  • I've been backing up my blog on my computer after learning about loss the hard way. In fact, I try to maintain a schedule of maintenance for the computer overall (I know I'm such a dork) but there's always the chance I'll mess up and lose something somehow, someway. When in doubt though, I say back it all up.

    By Blogger Janet, at 7:59 PM, November 22, 2004  

  • Janet, How do you back it up? Do you use blogger's back-up system? Or something else?

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:01 AM, November 23, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home