The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Hotmail Feels the Heat

Just about everyone I know that had a hotmail email account has made the switch to gmail, myself included. My main reason--heck, my only reason--was because of hotmail's pitiful 2mb storage limit. Gmail offers 1000mb. So I made the switch and I haven't look back.

Okay, that's a big lie. I have trouble letting go, especially of things I've had for 8 years or so, like my hotmail email account. So I do look back. I've got a lot of stuff stored there, and I still get a random email there from someone I forgot to tell about my gmail account, so I check in every day or so to clear out the junk mail and see if I've got any new email.

I logged in yesterday, and the status bar that shows how much storage space you've used is all white. With a 2mb limit, it usually has a green line indicating that I'm using 70% of my storage space. I open up the inbox, and what do I see? They've upped the limit from 2mb to 250mb! I guess they were losing too many customers to gmail now that gmail invites are flooding the market (I've got six myself, if anyone wants one).

I'm in a little of a quandry now. I've basically made the switch all the way over to gmail. But I feel some loyalty to hotmail, since I've been with them for so long. I was with hotmail before it was owned by MSN, even before there were such things as spam filters. I actually have an account name with no numbers in it!

But I guess I should put it behind. I have made the switch, and gmail is still offering four times the storage. Plus, I do like the whole "conversation" thing that gmail has, as well as the stripped down text advertisements and overall easy to load minimal graphics. It's still hard to let an old relationship go, especially when the other entity has changed the things that made you leave them in the first place....

6 Comments:

  • Ah GMail. I'm already up to 10% (100 MB) ! Can you dig it?

    By Blogger Dan, at 1:23 PM, November 10, 2004  

  • I can dig it, my soul brother. I'm up to about 10% myself. I guess that's as good a reason as any to stick with gmail. With hotmail, I'd be at 35-40%.

    By Blogger Oz, at 7:39 AM, November 11, 2004  

  • Kiss the Microsofties goodbye. I still use mine for "public" consumption (I include it at the bottom of my published columns) but for day-to-day messaging, it's beyond useless.

    My Gmail account is at 8% and climbing rapidly. I'm going to need to start managing it before long lest I find myself desperately trying to keep it under 95% someday.

    Ah well, what can we expect for free!

    By Blogger Carmi, at 4:43 PM, November 11, 2004  

  • I think 1000mb is pretty good for free. I just checked my gmail status again, and I'm actually at 1%, not 10%. Since I managed to live with hotmail's 2mb for 8 years, I think I'll be good with 1000mb for a while. Of course, the size of individual email is getting larger and larger, what with formatted text, images, and whatnot, so who knows?

    By Blogger Oz, at 5:16 PM, November 11, 2004  

  • I've had my hotmail account for... six years now (no number in mine either). I also have an account with G-mail (who doesn't?) and another with my local service provider. I tend to bounce around between all three. It's a little weird, but what the hell.

    By Blogger Newell, at 6:17 PM, November 12, 2004  

  • Wow, Newell, you're really making the rounds here, aren't you?

    I guess I have three accounts, too, now that I think about it. But I like having a centralized account. And my gmail account pretty much is that now. But I think I won't let go of the hotmail account for a long, long time.

    By Blogger Oz, at 7:06 PM, November 12, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home