The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Are You Ready for a Naked Lady? I Sure Am

Monday Night Football featured none other than my Philadelphia Eagles playing the hapless Dallas Cowboys. But not many people are talking about the game--except a few well-deserved mentions of Donovan McNabb's incredible 14.1 second scramble which ended with a 60 yard throw down the field for a completion (Go Eagles!). No, people are talking about the intro bit before the game.

The intro bit this past Monday featured Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens and Nicollette Sheridan, one of the stars of ABC's new drama, Desperate Housewives. In the intro, Sheridan's character "Edie" appears wearing only a towel and she tries to entice T.O. to skip the game and, uh, well, I think you know what she'd rather do with him. He says no and starts to walk away, but then "Edie" drops the towel. The television viewing audience sees her naked back exposed and T.O.'s smile of appreciation. He decides to skip the game, and "Edie" jumps--naked--into his arms.

Apparently, all the red state people are up in arms about this. Naked ladies! On a wholesome sports show! After all, this occurred at 7pm mountain time! During the dinner hour when little Timmy was innocently eating mashed potatoes! How could they do this to THE CHILDREN?!

ABC and the NFL promptly issued apologies all around.

What I love about this whole thing is that I have seen that scene between Terrell Owens and Nicollette Sheridan replayed at least ten times since Monday night. I've seen it replayed at 9 o'clock in the morning. I've seen it re-played at 5 o'clock in the evening. I've seen it in the afternoon, and I've even seen it re-played just about the same exact time it was played in the first place. Yes, I do watch a lot of ESPN. But that's not the point.

I think you know the point, and I really and truly don't understand it. If it is too shocking and violating of children to be shown at 9pm EST, then how come it's okay to show it every hour of the day since then? Obviously, this isn't the first time this has happened. Yesterday on a sports talk show I watch, they re-played some football player saying the word fuck on what had been live TV. Of course, they bleeped the word fuck, but they'd already told you what he said, "the f word," and then re-played the scene. Alrighty, I don't watch college football, and I would never, ever have known about this...except it's getting re-played so that I can be sure not to miss it. And while you're at it, can you explain the difference between hearing someone say the word fuck vs. being told that someone said the "f word" and then re-playing him saying it while bleeping the word fuck? Is it just me, or is there really no difference at all between these two occurrences?

I know, I know, they have to report something. It just seems like there wouldn't really be an uproar about much at all if it wasn't for news people intentionally stirring the pot.

4 Comments:

  • NOTE TO SELF: Watch football.

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:20 AM, November 17, 2004  

  • I always enjoy reading your posts. Red states up in arms? Oh my! lol.

    I remember as a kid watching planet of the apes on tv and seeing a nekkid bootie. good ol 70's.

    My goddess, I will ALWAYS keep in touch with you. My online friends mean the world. thanks for being there.
    xxxoooo

    By Blogger Vadergrrrl, at 4:16 PM, November 17, 2004  

  • Oz, d'you remember posting a comment on my site saying someone had got to yours through a search for 'sister joist'? Well, now someone has searched for exactly that and ended up at the page on my site containing your comment.

    A cruel part of me hopes it was the same person...

    By Blogger Fyse, at 6:44 PM, November 17, 2004  

  • Dan, I had a feeling that not many of my blog friends actually watched football. Hey, it's a fun game, and sometimes there's a naked lady.

    Vader, I hope you do stay in touch, and I hope you do so through your blog. When you get settled in Colorado, don't forget to plug in the computer and write about the move. And there's no excuse not to keep posting until then!

    Fyse, That's funny. Maybe I should put "sister joist" into all of my posts just so I can get more hits!

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:05 AM, November 18, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home