The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Post-Op

My little puppy (ha!) looks like Frankenstein...if Frankenstein's ass and side had been where his seams were.

Here's the base of Chester's tail:

Apparently, this was the result of some sort of gland gone wrong. When the vet was explaining it to me, it sounded like something that happens pretty often. The vet wasn't worried about it.

And here's the site of the scary egg lump:

This one was just full of fluid. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to pop this thing like a zit. It just seemed like we could stick a pin in it and deflate it ourselves. But I suppose it was better for Chester to go to a medical professional, eh?

The good news is that neither of the lumps looked cancerous. The vet didn't even think that they needed to be biopsied, which was great because it saved us $100 ($50 for each lump). I feel so relieved. That huge lump on his side has scared me for a long time. Since I'd asked the vet about it so often, I intellectually thought that it was probably okay. But emotionally, when I saw that thing there, I just wanted it to be gone.

Then I felt that hard lump at the base of his tail last weekend, and I got even more scared. The hardness of it somehow seemed more ominous. That, and the fact that it was hidden. You couldn't see it, but when you felt it, it was so solid and substantial.

A weight has been lifted off my shoulders. As I was leaving my vet's office with Chester, one of the vet techs who knew how much money we'd put into Chester in the last six months said, "We're hoping we won't see Chester for a long time now." You and me both, sister.

8 Comments:

  • Poor Chester! Bogey wishes him a fast and speedy recovery.

    By Blogger Dan, at 9:16 PM, October 23, 2004  

  • Kinda gruesome couple of posts there, Oz. Quite put me off my dinner...

    By Blogger Fyse, at 8:48 PM, October 24, 2004  

  • Owwwie. Poor doggy.

    but a fitting halloween costume.

    *hugs*

    By Blogger Vadergrrrl, at 12:17 AM, October 25, 2004  

  • Oh...I'm really glad that it all worked out for you and your dog and your family. And let's hope your dr. is right about those visits!

    By Blogger D.T., at 12:48 AM, October 25, 2004  

  • Thank you, everyone. Chester's incisions have calmed down a bit over the weekend and now only look about half as gruesome. When I first saw him, I was like, WHAT HAVE I DONE TO THIS POOR DOG? I mean, I think the only surgery the dog had before we got him was when he was neutered as a pup. Now he's been sliced open in four different places in the last six months. But hopefully this is the last time.

    By Blogger Oz, at 3:55 PM, October 25, 2004  

  • Well, just try to think of it as a "butt-lift"...kind of like the movie stars and their face-lifts. Poor Chester. I hope he's on the mend and feeling better very soon. He's lucky to have caring parents...

    By Blogger foxymama, at 5:41 PM, October 29, 2004  

  • Foxy, Wow, you're really making up for lost time with all these comments. I'm not sure if you read through everything you missed while your computer was down, but knowing how much you like Chester, you might want to take a look at The Last Swim. You can see Chester is all his glory (and his cool life jacket) instead of sliced up.

    By Blogger Oz, at 9:20 AM, October 30, 2004  

  • Oz, I saw him and he's sooo handsome. I've been trying to catch up to things and I've read pretty much everything, although I haven't been up to snuff about leaving comments. Sometimes I suffer from brain freeze due to being tired, stressed or 'pushed' by schedules. It doesn't prevent me from thinking about'cha though. I am behind but fear not, I'll catch up. I try to keep up on my reading. There's been a lot of 'life-ous interruptous' lately...and it sure doesn't help when my computer goes down, I can tell ya... ~:^{

    By Blogger foxymama, at 1:57 PM, October 30, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home