The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Over 30? Over Stressed? Over Weight?

If you have cable, you can't help but see the pleathora of ads out there for the new breed of diet pills which supposedly target belly fat. CortiSlim was the first of these drugs that I saw advertised, although Relacore has been making up for lost time by relentlessly running ads every 15 minutes it seems.

Both the CortiSlim and Relacore ads follow the same formula. First, they "ask" the questions about age, stress, and that you are at least 30 pounds overweight. It's the next part of the commericial that just kills me. Relacore does it this way, verbatim: "Take a look in the mirror. You've got excess body fat around your waist, hips, and belly."

They say it like it could be a relevation to you. "The fat is around my waist, hips, and belly! I've never noticed that before!" With the first questions, you may or may not be "over 30, over stressed, and overweight" (although if you live in America, there's a good chance you are). But come on people, if you are 30 pounds or more overweight, THERE IS FAT AROUND YOUR WAIST, HIPS AND BELLY.

However, these commercials act like there's a chance the fat could be located somewhere else. As if a person 30 pounds or more overweight will get up, go to the mirror, and say, "No, I have abs of steel--the six pack still looks good. And my ass. Well, you could bounce a quarter off of that bad boy. My waist? Yep, I can still touch my fingers and my thumbs together when I span it. Oh well, I guess CortiSilm/Relacore isn't for me. Now, if only they could come up with a drug to target the thirty extra pounds of fat around my wrists and ears!"

Do people really fall for this bullshit? Do they really imagine that there are fat people over the age of 30 who are stress-free and therefore carry their fat in places other than their waist, hips and belly? I mean, is there someone out there in a cornfield in Iowa going, "If only I was happier, my extra fat would be stored in my toes!"

But there must be. I can only imagine that before they ran these ads, they did focus groups, etc. I can only imagine that they keep running these ads because they are working. I just can't imagine that there are people out there who are stupid enough to think that 30+ pounds of fat could be stored in some other area of the body if you are under 30 and/or not under stress. I guess I'm just naive that way.

4 Comments:

  • Y'know what other infomercial/ad sucks? "Hi, this is Billy May for Oxy-Clean!!!" He's hugely annoying, the loudest pitchman on TV, hands down. And I bet his soap sucks.

    By Blogger Tim, at 11:54 AM, October 20, 2004  

  • Not only are my hips cursed, but I have a manufacturer's defect in my legs. My thighs and calves are so out of porportion it's not even funny. I have never been able to wear boots that fit because of my calves. And don't even get me started about my thick ankles. Will CortiSlim help with ankles? I'm sure they would tell me it works...

    By Blogger Diva, at 9:58 PM, October 20, 2004  

  • Tim, I also hate that guy who sells that home exercise thingy--I think it's called the Gazelle or something? I just look at that guy (and the oxy-clean guy) and say to myself, "What the hell are you so happy about?"

    Diva, Somehow I think you're right--they'll tell you it works. I mean, I understand the premise that if you're stressed, you'll store more fat. Makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. You're body thinks, "Oh shit, things are going downhill. Let's prepare for the worst and save up everything!" So you store fat. What these drugs are "supposedly" doing is targeting the mechanism in your body that says, "Oh shit! Store fat!" And people store fat around their waist, hips and belly. And for you, it seems, also your legs. So if you stop storing the fat, period, you'll stop storing it anywhere that it is getting stored. Personally, I don't believe in drugs for weight loss--except a person who has a thyroid problem or something like that. I lost 30 pounds this past year, and I did it the old fashioned way--diet and exercise.

    By Blogger Oz, at 11:44 AM, October 21, 2004  

  • Yep! I agreee! Infommercials suck! I prefer to eat hairpie instead!

    By Blogger TL, at 6:12 PM, December 07, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home