The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Friday, October 22, 2004

The Lump

Today that lemon of a dog, Chester, is going under the knife again. This time to remove two lumps. One of the lumps is hard and can only be felt (it's at the base of his tail). The other lump looks like it might be his unborn twin brother about to sprout from his ribcage like Eve from Adam. The thing is huge, and I'm not kidding. Don't believe me? Take a look at this:



It looks like an egg hanging off of his side. We got Chester in August of 2003, and it was there then, although not quite as big. Older dogs tend to get fatty tumors, which are generally benign. It was big already when we got him, but over the last six months, it's gotten bigger.



I've asked our vet about it several times when I've brought Chester in for other things. (And if you know Chester's history, you know this has happened often.) They always say the same thing: They can remove it if I want them to, but fatty tumors are harmless, and the only reason to remove them is for cosmetic purposes.



But the thing is so fucking big that we decided we could no longer stomach looking at it anymore. We'd wanted to wait until the winter when we finally come into some money, but when I found a second, harder lump at the base of Chester's tail, we decided to just do it now. The Bread Winner just had a birthday a few weeks back, and her mother and my mother both gave her some money, so why not spend it on Chester? It's been at least a month since he's cost us anything.

3 Comments:

  • OMG...I dont even know what to say, except, I'll be keeping you and your dog in my prayers. I'm real sorry that this had to happen to you and your family, but just remember that even though bad things happen to good people sometimes, it's how you it that is most important.

    By Blogger D.T., at 10:54 PM, October 22, 2004  

  • Thanks, David! We're very happy that everything turned out okay and those scary lumps were harmless. I guess we could have waited to have them removed after all, but I feel so much better knowing that Chester doesn't have cancer.

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:28 PM, October 23, 2004  

  • I'm sure glad he doesn't have cancer either! Whew! I've been through similar with my dear dog kid and I know what that does to ya. We lost our old dog to cancer and Tim and I stayed with her til the end... We'll probably never be able to lose that memory. The trick is to remember her better times but it's sometimes hard. I like Chester...he seems like a cheerful sort...

    By Blogger foxymama, at 2:01 PM, October 30, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home