The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Monday, October 11, 2004

It's Getting Cold In Here, So Put On All Your Clothes

Yes, the weather is changing--at least here in the mid-Atlantic states. I find it ironic that the Bread Winner and I are confronting the same exact issue we were dealing with this time last year. Namely, we have no heat. How's that? Here's how.

When the Bread Winner and I first looked at this house in the spring of 2003, there was faux wood paneling and shag carpet as far as the eye could see, plus the added bonus of styrofoam drop ceilings in the downstairs rooms. The Bread Winner looked at this and said, "I don't want to live here." But the price was right, and I had a vision. I said, "Yes, it's horribly unattractive. But that's just surface stuff! Picture hardwood floors, drywall on the walls and ceilings! We'll move the kitchen from that tiny room into this other bigger room! It'll be cute! And it's cheap!" She was skeptical, but she put her faith in me and my vision. We bought the house.

First we tore out all the carpeting, all the wood paneling, and all of the ceiling tiles. Next, we hung the drywall. Finally, it was time to re-do the floors.

This house has given us one gift: it had hardwood floors beneath the carpeting. All we had to do (ha, ha, "all we had to do," oh that's funny) was pull up all the old stuff, sand the floors, polyurethene them, and ta-da, beautiful floors. I would go into the details of this back-breaking work, but that's not the point of this post. The point is the radiators.

The house is heated via radiators. In order to re-finish the floors, we had to move the radiators here and there. This also meant that we had to drain them and disconnect them. We did all that. We did the floors. We moved the radiators back into their positions. But we did not re-attach them or fill them back up. Believe me, we had other pressing issues on our minds, and as it was summertime, providing heat to the house was not important. So we didn't deal with it.

Then it started to get cold. Rather than do something about it immediately, we--okay, I--didn't. It started to get cold. I started wearing a jacket, knit hat, and scarf in the house. It took a while, but towards late October, I'd been cold long enough, so I got off my ass and hooked up the radiators. That was also an adventure, as one of the pipes decided to break, but that's another story for another day. What's important is the fact that we had no heat and it got cold.

Now, a year later, you'd think that everything was ready to go. Wrong. We finally got the kitchen relocated this winter, and we decided to swap one radiator for another in what will become my office. The same cycle repeats. We drain the radiators. We disconnect the radiator to be replaced by another. We do not set up the new radiator. Now it's getting cold. Now we're bundling up in the house.

I'd meant to work on the new radiator this past weekend (I need to move a pipe), but I didn't get to it. So I'd meant to do it today. But I didn't get to it. Will tomorrow be the day I finally do the work? Or will it be another day of multiple layers and goose down slippers?

8 Comments:

  • You sound like you're just a big ole' procrastinator. Join the club!

    By Blogger Newell, at 1:28 PM, October 12, 2004  

  • I think you'll get around to the rad right around the time I install that new weatherstripping under the door that leads into the garage.

    The important thing is your heart is in the right place. Either that or you, like the rest of us, subconsciously enjoy bundling up against the elements. I like to keep the heat off for as deep into October/November as we possibly can, because the thought of tossing on another sweatshirt and pair of slippers is, frankly, comforting. It brings me right back to my childhood, and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

    By Blogger Carmi, at 3:54 PM, October 12, 2004  

  • I like the Nelly song. lol

    We all stall, especially in fall. (no cheesy rhyme intended)
    Fall is time to bundle up and snuggle.

    lol

    By Blogger Vadergrrrl, at 4:14 PM, October 12, 2004  

  • Good grief I am *SO* impressed! I have trouble painting walls and here you are running your own "This Old House" episode.

    By Blogger Diva, at 10:22 PM, October 12, 2004  

  • Let me know if you need some help...... Besides being a lost 80's punk..... I own a Mechanical Contracting company in Philly.
    (nice pitch right?)

    By Blogger tescosuicide, at 9:31 AM, October 13, 2004  

  • Newell, Right you are. It's only the physical discomfort that's getting me moving now!

    Carmi, I do like not paying for heat, so given the chance, I also put off on turning it on. But there's different kinds of cold. There's the kind you're talking about, where you don't turn the heat on because you choose not to. Then there's the other kind where you can't turn on the heat because it doesn't work. The second kind is much colder than the first. Trust me.

    Vader, I was wondering if anyone would get the reference. You win!

    Diva, I don't do it because I want to. I do it because I don't have enough money to pay someone else to do it.

    Tescosuicide, See the comment to Diva. If I had the money to pay someone, I would be doing so. But, I'll keep you in mind for when I win the lottery!

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:07 AM, October 13, 2004  

  • Brrrr. I am currently sitting at my desk with a portable heater aimed directly at my hands and torso. The thought of no furnace, let alone additional sources of heat (i.e. said heater, electric blanket, multiple cats) scares me.

    By Blogger Trillian, at 1:06 PM, October 13, 2004  

  • Oz, I should be doing the same thing here, but I have grown to like my paneling. Well, or maybe I can just overlook it for now. And that gold theme that is going on in my kitchen. I'm thinking it'll come back into style sooner or later.

    By Blogger Diva, at 9:48 PM, October 14, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home