The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Monday, October 18, 2004

Broken Blue Dog

I write a lot about Chester, but he is not the only dog I have. I think I've mentioned Blue once or twice before. He has issues. Many, many issues. I got him a few months before I got Chester. The Bread Winner had agreed to let me get another dog--a dog that would fetch because I'd always wanted one. Then I saw Blue, a big, black shepard mix (about 70 pounds). And he had a blue eye. I fell in love with that blue eye, and soon, he'd found a new home with us even though he did not fetch (which is why we ended up getting Chester a few months later).

He was six when we got him from the shelter. He'd been there for over six months. Before that, he'd spent the first 5.5 years of his life living in a basement. That can mess up a dog, and he's the proof. He follows me around wherever I go in the house. He panics--and I mean panics if a door is closed between us. This means I have to stand at the back door, with the door wide open, while he's in the backyard doing his "business." Otherwise, he won't do it. He'll just stand at the door and shriek. I've never heard a dog make a noise like the noise this dog makes.

He doesn't like thunderstorms or any loud noises. He crams himself into the smallest spaces you can imagine. He even climbs up on our laps, if you can imagine a 70 pound dog on a lap.

For a long time, he wouldn't come upstairs to the second floor. He slept downstairs by himself. The last six months, he's been coming upstairs to sleep in the bedroom with us. But he only comes up after we're in bed and have turned off the lights. Then we hear his footsteps coming up the stairs. It's like he doesn't want us to know he's there because he's afraid he'll get in trouble.

When he does sleep downstairs, and I come downstairs in the morning, most times, I'll see him curled up on the sofa. He is welcome to be there. But he does not get onto the sofa when I am in the living room. He usually curls up on the doormat in front of the front door. We have a dog bed in the living room, and Chester generally sleeps there, but even when Chester is not there, Blue will not sleep on it.

The Bread Winner and I look at him often as he's doing something odd (which is just about all the time), and we say to each other, "He's broken." Chester has been broken physically, but Blue is broken inside his head and his heart. We're trying to fix him. Or rather, we're trying to give him a good place to live and hope that time will fix him. He's got six years of damage to undo. We figure it will take at least three years, and we've had him for a year and a half.

He's made progress. I mentioned that he will come upstairs at night now--even if he does it on the sly. And sometimes, he'll let me go into the next room without following me. Lately, he's started doing something new. He still won't sleep on the couch while I'm in the living room, but he's moved away from the doormat and has started to sleeping on an animal bed:



Of course, this is a bed for a cat or small dog. Cramming his 70 body into it is only partially successful at best. But at least he's starting to think that he's worthy of it.

9 Comments:

  • This one really tugged at my heart. If Blue ever needs a new home or a place to stay for a while, he is more than welcome here.

    By Blogger Diva, at 7:53 PM, October 18, 2004  

  • My heart is completely soft for you. I love how you are taking care of Blue. I am broken too, and broken dogs are my soul

    Todd Vodka
    http://www.blithelywego.blogspot.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 PM, October 18, 2004  

  • Thanks for visiting my blog. I will return to your wonderful one often. Would you consider posting more pictures of Broken Blue? I want to be the first member of his fan club.

    Todd Vodka
    http://www.blithelywego.blogspot.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 PM, October 18, 2004  

  • Is that one of the fabled radiators in the background?

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:15 PM, October 18, 2004  

  • What a great photo and post too.

    Blue is soooo cute.

    *vader blows kisses at big doggie*

    By Blogger Vadergrrrl, at 12:14 AM, October 19, 2004  

  • Aww. Just awww.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 7:13 AM, October 19, 2004  

  • Diva, Be careful what you offer, my dear. You might find yourself with a Blue Dog.

    Todd, You asked for pictures. I've put up more pictures. Thanks for being in Blue's fan club. It's a small club, but a good one.

    Dan, Good pick up on the radiator! That is the radiator that caused all the problems last year--the one where the pipe leading to it burst. This year, it is the only radiator that I have not touched. FYI, we still have no heat.

    Vader, Blue likes kisses, and he is the perfect size for hugging.

    Kerrie, See, you're not the only one with a sad story! Blue appreciates "awwws," especially if they are accompanied by petting and meaty treats.

    By Blogger Oz, at 11:21 AM, October 19, 2004  

  • Nice blog. Check out my cat photo blog.

    By Blogger unixlinux, at 11:32 AM, October 18, 2005  

  • I just came across your Blog about dog picture and wanted to drop you a note to tell you how impressed I was with the information you have provided here. I also have a website and blog about dog pictureso I know what I am talking about when I say your is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the internet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM, October 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home