The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

A Schedule? What Was I Thinking?

There's a lot of things that I would like to do, but I never do them. There's also a lot of things that I don't want to do, but yet I should be doing them anyway. An example of the first is to play the guitar. I really enjoy that, and I get into a groove of practising every day for a month or two, then something unavoidable comes up and I miss a day, then two days, then a week, and now it's been six months since I've touched the thing. An example of the second is writing a paper for school. I got an incomplete in two classes in Spring 2003. Yep, 2003. One of the papers is a major deal--about 40 pages. I'm sure you can understand why I'm not jumping into that. The other paper, however, is only a 10 page affair, something I used to grind out in one night. But it's just been sitting there, not getting done, for close to a year and a half. Oppsie.

So I decided last night to make a list of all the things I should be doing. Oh, you should have seen the Bread Winner! She clapped with delight. That woman loves lists. But anyway, back to me. I made a list and put the items into categories: there's Home Improvement, School, Photo Work, and Miscellaneous. The list got to be quite long--over 20 items. The next step was to prioritize them and then create a schedule for my days.

I divided the schedule into hours (duh), and I ended up putting 5 items on the schedule. Five seemed completely reasonable. The morning consisted of two items, one hour each: playing guitar and working on my French (another school thing that could be a post in itself--or a play of a comedy of errors). There were three items for the afternoon: exercise Chester, work on aforementioned 10 page paper, and photo work.

Well, I was supposed to make it through the morning items by 11am and then have free time until 1pm. Didn't work out that way. I was doing this and that and I didn't get my morning stuff done until after noontime. Then I was late taking Chester to the park, and I didn't get back from that until after 3pm. The idea of starting to work on that paper is laughable. Perhaps I'll do some photo work tonight. I need to do that.

This schedule thing might be a good idea, but I think I need to pace myself. Maybe I should limit my activities to only three per day at first. Ease my way in. And how pathetic is that?

10 Comments:

  • I for one would like to hear more about your school woes. Up until this post, I didn't know you had any.

    By Blogger Dan, at 4:47 PM, September 07, 2004  

  • Ooh! I love lists. Even if I don't complete everything on them. I just like making them.
    Good luck trying to turn over that organization leaf! :)

    Tara

    By Blogger Tara, at 6:04 PM, September 07, 2004  

  • Don't feel bad. I've tried making myself a schedule befoer and it NEVER pans out. Sometimes I think the only reason I ever do it is so I feel like I'm going to be productive, even though I never am.

    By Blogger Newell, at 8:25 PM, September 07, 2004  

  • I would be nowhere without my PalmPilot. I use Outlook to load up my To Do list every day. Every item has an alarm, and I spend my day ticking each one off as it beeps to let me know now's the time to get it done.

    I suppose I could simply use paper and pen. I have also successfully used a DayRunner in a cool zippered case with color-coded pens. But once a geek, always a geek. The alarms help keep me honest.

    Kudos to you for making the effort and drawing the proverbial line in the sand.

    By Blogger Carmi, at 8:58 PM, September 07, 2004  

  • Great post. Stay strong grrrl. we love you.
    xxxooo

    By Blogger Vadergrrrl, at 12:42 AM, September 08, 2004  

  • Dan, You request it, and it is done....

    Tara, Maybe I should give you the Bread Winner's number?

    Newell, I think you're right and that the schedule will be short-lived. But hopefully I can stick to it long enough to get SOME of the things done.

    Carmi, Ooh, I've been wanting a PalmPilot for a long time. Still don't have one though. I think I'd use it mostly for the solitaire.

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:08 AM, September 08, 2004  

  • Hey - at least you got something on your list accomplished. I've heard it's a good idea when making a "to do" list to put one or two items on there that you can check off right away. Item 1: Make this list. Check. Done. Good work.

    I used to keep a daily to do list in my Franklin Planner (before I started using a Palm Pilot) and it seemed there were some itmes I always carried over to the next day. Some items got carried over for months until I just decided they were never going to get done and I deleted them.

    On the papers - maybe you could break the task up into smaller tasks (make a list!), each of which would only take 15 minutes or so to complete? Take small baby steps. Put enough of 'em together and you will soon have traveled quite far.

    By Blogger NotCuredYet, at 10:43 AM, September 08, 2004  

  • Vader, Doing my best. Feeling the love. Thanks! :)

    By Blogger Oz, at 3:52 PM, September 08, 2004  

  • I'm now at the point where I keep lists of my lists. Sigh... I also put some easy ones on top that I 'know' I'm going to accomplish, but... I guess you can't change human nature. I'm still carrying the weight of things I should have done years ago. Double sigh...

    By Blogger foxymama, at 4:12 PM, September 08, 2004  

  • Oz,
    The Bread Winner and I could have a spot of tea and discuss our organizationally-impaired peeps! My Hub's "filing system" is still a mystery to me.
    :)
    Tara

    By Blogger Tara, at 6:49 PM, September 08, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home