The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The New Girl in My Life

We did it. Many thanks to those of you who happened to read my post yesterday and give me some quick advice. I think I got a good deal on the car. Knowing the numbers is great. Otherwise, I might have wondered if I got screwed or not. This way, I feel good about the whole thing.

My new baby is a 2005 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 Limited GT Wagon with leather interior, a 6 CD changer, a moon roof, power everything, sportshift, turbo charged engine, and oh yeah, the piece de la resistance, heated seats. I love heated seats. A former friend of mine has always had expensive cars, so I've experienced the heated seats in his cars, and they are a little slice of heaven. I am so happy about the heated seats. That was one of the things about Loki that always rankled me: she had heated seats--they just didn't work. But enough about her. Wanna see my new girl? Here she is



Before you ask, why yes, we did spend more than we had anticipated. I drove a regular Legacy Outback first--normal engine, normal radio, no moonroof, just the basics. And it was nice. There was nothing at all wrong with it. I remember thinking, This car would be fine. We needed leather interior because of the dogs (18,000 hairs get inbedded in cloth seats in about 2 nano-seconds) but other than that, we could have gone with just the regular car.

But then I thought, Why not just try the turbo charged version? Just for kicks. And that was it. I had to have it. That car has some get up and go, let me tell you. Sure, we could have still gotten the regular Legacy Outback, but whatever car we were going to get we were going to be stuck with for about 10 years, and I knew that with the regular Legacy Outback, I would have spent the whole time thinking, I wish I had the other car. What's the point in that? So we spent a few extra K's and got the car we both liked better.

I couldn't be happier. This wasn't the best time for us to do this, financially, but it's done, and that's one less thing to get fucked up. Having to make these payments for the next few months will suck, but at least we know what's ahead of us, unlike with the old car, which broke down randomly so that we could not brace ourselves.

I'm taking my new girl out for a spin today. It's going to be fun.

12 Comments:

  • If you could see me right now, you'd ask why I'm so green. Envy, my friend, envy. The Legacy Outback is my all time favorite car. Hands down. It's a big giant pink cupcake with a cherry on top. Turbo charged with heated seats is icing on the icing. Very nice.

    By Blogger Trillian, at 1:25 PM, September 15, 2004  

  • Vroom vroom!

    By Blogger Newell, at 2:40 PM, September 15, 2004  

  • Nice wheels. Seems like the perfect vehicle for your dogs, too.

    By Blogger NotCuredYet, at 3:03 PM, September 15, 2004  

  • What is it with people naming their cars? I've never understood it. Nicole has named all of her cars, but not our most recent... I put my foot down. It's simply "the CRV"... nothing more, nothing less.

    By Blogger Dan, at 3:09 PM, September 15, 2004  

  • Congratulations on your new baby! She's beautiful! What color is she? What's her name? My car is Grace (nickname 'Racy Gracie'). She's a great ole gal. I hope the 3 of you, whoops...forgot the dogs...5 of you will have a long healthy relationship...

    By Blogger foxymama, at 7:14 PM, September 15, 2004  

  • It's a girl! Congrats!
    Tara

    By Blogger Tara, at 8:09 PM, September 15, 2004  

  • Great choice, many congratulations! Enjoy your new ride. I never would have thought it, but having heated leather seats is something I never again want to live without.

    By Blogger Diva, at 10:59 PM, September 15, 2004  

  • May you drive it in the best of health and happiness.

    I'm experiencing a parallel thought process to Trillian's: Subies have always been my faves. There's something quirkily cool and substantial about them that few other marques can match.

    Besides, my hero, Lance Armstrong, is spokesperson for the company. So it's gotta be good. Enjoy!

    By Blogger Carmi, at 1:14 AM, September 16, 2004  

  • Wow...what a nice car! Your like one step closer to being a soccer mom! LOL...but that's a good thing, cuz soccer mom's are so cool! Yay!

    By Blogger D.T., at 10:38 AM, September 16, 2004  

  • I'm so with Carmi. I really like the improvements they've made to the body styling this year. The turbo is wicked.

    Speaking of naming cars, I've noticed Canadians tend to call their cars by the car type. For example while in a mall in Canada, one might hear, "Do you remember where we parked the Celica?" rather than, "Where'd we park the car?" Canadian is a strange language.

    By Blogger Wheelson, at 3:53 PM, September 16, 2004  

  • Ahhh yes, the Suburu Outback Legacy. That was my choice of vehicle too, and I made the mistake of mentioning to the family that I can't afford one. Next thing I know, my grandma is cruising around town in her new Outback. D'oh!

    By Blogger Tim, at 5:58 PM, September 16, 2004  

  • Trillian, Yes, my car DOES rock! I never thought a wagon could drive like this baby!

    Newell, You know it!

    NCY, The dogs are a big reason for getting a wagon. We're getting a dog guard installed on Monday. After that, we'll put Chester in there and see how he fairs....

    Dan, Naming cars is fun. All work and no play make Dan a dull boy.

    Foxy, She is black just like the picture. I think we might call her the Phoenix. She's risen up from the deaths of our grandmothers. (The Bread Winner's grandmother died last spring, and ultimately, it is the money the BW will inherit from that grandmother that will pay for this car.)

    Tara, Diva, D.T, Thank you, thank you. :)

    Carmi, One of the reasons we like Subaru is because they are not afraid of being associated with gays & lesbians. They were the first to have an openly gay athelete endorse their product (Martina Navratilova), and they were also the only company that the producers of the Showtime series "The L Word" could get to participate in a certain storyline.

    Wheelson, They have made a lot of changes--also upgraded a lot of the safety stuff too.

    Tim, I've been your grandmother. An ex of mine once talked about how much she like Saturns, and when I needed a new car, I got one. She wasn't happy LOL. I was considering doing it again--she like the new Jeep Wrangler with the extended back thingy. But then I stuck with the Subaru.

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:55 AM, September 17, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home