The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The Hits Keep Coming

I swear to you, if I was reading someone else's blog and it went the way my blog has gone, I would get out a stack of bibles, raise my right hand and say, "This person must be full of shit." I might retell the age old story of the little boy who cried wolf, or simply delete the offending blog from my bookmarks and never visit again. But alas, this is my blog, I know it's all true, and I don't think I've said wolf once, let alone cried it.

For those who already read my long list of complaints about this summer, I won't repeat them here. Suffice it to say that the list was long, and it was appended to in other posts like this one and this one.

I said I wasn't going to recap, but I do feel like I should mention the financial impact of two of these items: my dog's two surgeries and my car's three major repairs. These two added up to something approximating $7,000.

With that in mind, I'll now back track to my pre-blogging days. The Bread Winner and I bought this house in May 2003. That summer, I noticed water damage on the ceiling when I pulled down a drop ceiling in what would become our future kitchen. I decided to believe that the damage was old and the problem had been taken care of. I had no reason to believe these to be facts, but I wanted to believe them, so I did. We put new drywall over the damaged area and that was that.

In the fall, while remodeling the bathroom (the only bathroom, I might add), I noticed that the plywood around the toilet was completely soaked beneath the old linoleum I was pulling up. Uh oh. With my mother's help (she's very handy), we ended up removing the toilet (the wax ring was completely non-existent) and then removing about 5-6 square feet of flooring which was all destroyed. This, of course, was just above the portion of the ceiling below that showed water damage. After we replaced the portion of flooring and the wax ring, we crossed our fingers and declared the problem solved.

Two days ago, I looked up in that corner of the ceiling of my kitchen, and I saw it: water damage starting to make its way through the new drywall. Uh oh. As this bathroom is our only bathroom, there is nothing I can do about it before the weekend, so I did my best to put it from my mind. This Sunday, we'll be pulling the toilet up again to see what the hell is going on.

But that's not it. Oh no. As (now tropical storm?) Jeanne made her way over Philadelphia, dumping what I can only imagine to be inches of rain on my little house, another problem revealed itself. Now I will share with you details of my life that you never expected or wanted to know.

I went up to my bathroom this evening to commence activities that occur in the bathroom. I didn't close the door nor did I turn on the light. I know where the toilet and toilet paper are, and the Bread Winner was safely downstairs and not likely to see me perched on the porcelain throne. As I sat there, I heard a sound. A drop, drop, drop sound. And no, it wasn't coming from me. However, one of the other problems of our house is that the faucet in the bathtub drips, so at first I thought it could be that. But the drop, drop, drop sound was not the high, tinny noise that the bathtub produces. It was a deeper, hollower, almost thumping sound.

I sat there in the dark and pivoted this way and that. The bathroom is small, and all the pipes (to the sink and the toilet) are within reaching distance from that position. Nothing. Then my eyes drew forward from beneath the sink where I had been looking for a puddle to the threshold of the open door. There was the puddle. Only, there's no pipes there. The water was coming from above. And above is the roof.

Dammit. Dammit, dammit, dammit.

I would say that when it rains it pours, or some kind of pun like when it rains it leaks, but that would be a bit too trite, don't you think? Suffice it to say, I see a second mortgage in our future.

5 Comments:

  • Oh, Oz. You won't need a second mortgage. Once the rain stops, head over to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy some new tar paper and shingles. Then climb up on your roof and get to work! Replacing a roof is the best part of owning a house.

    By Blogger Dan, at 9:22 AM, September 29, 2004  

  • I'm glad I don't own a house yet.

    By Blogger Newell, at 10:52 AM, September 29, 2004  

  • Isn't home ownership a joy?!?
    ...not...

    By Blogger Diva, at 7:05 PM, September 29, 2004  

  • It reminds me of the Sunday Morning, bum in the air, dismantling the toilet pipe thingys,(after cleaning up the flood first),putting the pieces into a plastic bag, and heading to home depot,where i threw myself on the mercy of their fine employees. I DID fix it, though. Amazing what skills homeownership brings out.Good luck with the roof!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 6:01 AM, September 30, 2004  

  • Dan, I don't have a shingled roof, but a flat roof. Once it had tar, and now it has some silver stuff on it. I will try to patch it, but I think the real solution is a new roof. But I might try to make do with patching it until we can afford to have a roof put on.

    Newell, Amen to that, my brother!

    Diva, If by joy you mean a money-sucking black hole, why yes, it is.

    Lisa, I thought I fixed the toilet once. If it is a problem with the drainage pipe, I'm a little screwed as the big ass drainage pipe does some weird maneuvering in my 100+ year old house. I'll know more this weekend.

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:37 AM, September 30, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home