The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Monday, September 13, 2004

Goodbye, Loki

It's over with my car. It's been a difficult month for us, my car and I. I've tried to make it work. I don't think anyone can argue that point. I really feel that my car has not put as much into the relationship as I have. It let me down on the way to my grandmother's viewing. I mean, what kind of time is that to pick a fight? Rude. Very rude. But nonetheless, I forgave Loki (my car). I went so far as to invest $700 into a car that was worth $1,500 - $2,000. Then, less than two weeks later, I had to put another $600 into it. I hear you, my readers, saying, "What?! Are you crazy?" Yes, I was. I was in a bad relationship, but I kept trying to make it work. I thought, if I do this one more thing, it will make everything okay, and we'll go back to how happy we were before.

Now, this seems very one sided, like I was a perfect person who was treated badly. Okay, Loki has a point of view too. She knew that I was, in all probability, going to ditch her in about three months. I was going to callously find a younger, prettier, peppier car, a car that would make her look old and tired, a car that would, most likely, make me forget that Loki herself had ever existed. That's not a very nice way to treat someone (some car) that you've been with for two years. So okay, maybe she had a reason to do this to me. Maybe I had it coming. But it still didn't feel good.

On my way home from my grandfather's house yesterday, my car revealed her continuing displeasure with me via a red warning light on the dashboard. Immediately thereafter, the engine temperature indicator climbed to the nasty red line. I pulled over to the side of the road, popped the hood, and saw the radiator fluid boiling.

As you know if you've been reading, this is not the first time. Last time, I was able to let the engine cool and then drive for about ten minutes before pulling over to again let the engine cool. Not the best way to travel, but you can still get where you need to go. Only, Loki wasn't going for it this time. I let the engine cool, and when I started the car up, the engine temperature light climbed directly to red.

By stopping every two minutes, I managed to get the car off the highway and into a motel parking lot. And that's it. We're done. We're giving it away to a charity that will come and tow it. We've put $1,300 into this car in the past month, and now we're going to get nothing for it. On top of that, we'll be getting a new car earlier than we had wanted and before we really have the money to do so.

Goodbye, Loki. I'm sorry we couldn't make it work. I was even considering keeping you and paying Philly's unbelievably high insurance rates for you. I know the other car would have been number 1, but I still had some love in my heart for you. Not anymore. You've let me down for the last time.

2 Comments:

  • That sucks. I can empathize though. I (read: my dad) replaced the engine in my current car (The Mustang) because there was a problem with it and the engine over heated and just blew it all to hell. My previous (first) car was a piece of junk (The Laser), but it kept going... until it got in an accident. I got rear ended on a rainy night. Due to the slippery wet roads I got pushed into the car in front of me which was actually a Jimmy. The pick-up truck that hit me drove off never to be seen again. The Jimmy got a smudge of blue paint on its bumper. My front left side light and my right rear light both got smashed to pieces all over the ground. Neither the trunk or the hood would open. I alread had a slow oil leak, so being unable to open to the hood was a problem. My dad and I decided it would be better to replace the car than try to fix it. It just wasn't worth it anymore.

    By Blogger Newell, at 11:03 PM, September 13, 2004  

  • Well, I know the sound of heartbreak when I hear it. Sniff, sniff...now look what you've made me do. You're the second friend this week who's had to replace a favorite old vehicle due to 'conditions beyond control.' They say you have to know when to cut your losses, but I'm not a poker player. I am a person who's had a much needed car 'die for good' on her. A very rude bummer!! And hard on the pocketbook too! Dang...

    By Blogger foxymama, at 11:19 PM, September 13, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home