The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Dog Guard: the Most Beautiful Thing in the World

I took Chester to the park for a swim this afternoon for the first time in over a week. When we bought our new baby, uh, I mean car, it didn't have a dog guard installed. We had to wait until this past Monday for that. There was no way in hell that I was going that big, mangy, drooling, wet, anxious beast known as Chester anywhere near my fabulous new car without a dog guard in it, so no going to the park, no swimming, no fetching for him.

I've seen dog guards before in plenty of cars, especially Subarus like mine, but I've never had one myself. Previously, Chester used to pace around in the back of the old car, falling backwards, forwards, or sideways depending on the speed and direction in which the car was going. In addition, he would pant. He would stick his head between the two front seats or between the driver's seat and the window and pant. Hot, wet dog breath with strings of drool spinning away from his jaw in the wind (no AC in the old car, so the windows were always open). He also whined. A sort of breathing whine, almost in cadense with his slobbering panting. I didn't realize how tense and anxious all that was making me until all that was safely kept away from me.

It happened today, with this firmly in place:


(Just so you know, that's not Chester. This is just an image from the web)

I drove to the park and back in complete comfort and, well, happiness. All of his anxiety, panic, frantic pacing, panting, drooling and whining were kept away from me. Like a good four feet away. He was all the way in the back, behind the back seats even, and there was nothing he could do about it.

This was, by far, the best driving with Chester experience I've ever had. The dog guard cost us an extra $300. It was worth every penny.

4 Comments:

  • Bogey likes to stick his head over the back seats. He strains his head in hopes of getting closer to the front, which causes the seats to slowly press into his throat. Eventually, the subtle choking sensation overtakes him and he lets out an emphysemic cough and backs up... then he does it again, and again, and again, until we toss him a frech fry.

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:02 AM, September 23, 2004  

  • That's awesome. It's amazing how a little change like that can improve your driving experience, and probably help maintain a better relationship with Chester. We made some small changes at home to make our master-pet relationship better - the cats have access to only one room at night - and it's really been to the benefit of the cats and ourselves (mostly since we no longer want to hurl the cats across the room).

    By Blogger Trillian, at 2:13 PM, September 23, 2004  

  • Dan, Dan, the man with a plan. Wuz up with your big meeting? I can't wait to hear about it on your blog. Oh, and Bogey's got it made. If Chester got french fries for being obnoxious, he'd be much happier. Actually, if I got french fries for being obnoxious, I'd be much happier too.

    Trillian, I hear you. I can see myself being MUCH happier now. And I understand your cat experience, too. About five years ago, I took in three 9 week old kittens (yes, I am insane) and I felt like killing them every night. They ended up in a room, too, and I slept like a baby.....

    By Blogger Oz, at 5:47 PM, September 23, 2004  

  • And Chester is much safer now, too. That's a plus...

    By Blogger foxymama, at 9:53 PM, September 26, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home