The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Kids Today

Yesterday I attended the wedding of a friend of a friend with an eye towards expanding my portfolio. They'd agreed to let me attend and give me a free dinner and access to the open bar in exchange for handing over all the pictures I took afterwards. Sounded like an arrangment made in heaven to me. I started out the day in the salon with the bride and her bridesmaids plus some mothers and grandmothers thrown in. One conversation I overheard was particularly inspiring, and it went a little something like this:

Bride: Yeah, one of my friends of mine got married two years ago and she got pregnant right away after the wedding and had a baby like nine and a half months later.
Random Bridesmaid: Wow, that's really quick.
Bride: Yeah, they're Catholic, so I guess they decided to quit the birth control after the wedding.
Random Bridesmaid: Oh, I guess that makes sense.
Bride: Or it could be because my friend was older, so they had to start right away.
Random Bridesmaid: How old was she?
Bride: 27.

Yikes. Talk about cutting to the bone. Yours truly will turn 30 in less than a month.

I've always had older friends, and I still do, but because the Bread Winner is younger than I am (26 going on 27), I've gotten a younger group of friends through her. It's very strange to be the oldest person in a group. Very strange indeed. Especially when the difference seems to be so big between the 20s and the 30s. Just a few years ago, I wouldn't have been that much different than those girls. Okay, that's a lie. I was different because I had older friends. But I did see the age of 30 as somehow more significant that 26, 27, 28, and 29. 30 denoted a level of maturity. And end of youth, sort of. Maybe the word I'm looking for is wisdom. I always thought I'd feel different at 30 than at, let's say, 28. But 30 is closing in fast, and nothing much has changed. If anything, I've gotten less mature, responsible and wise. But I guess I'm still older, no matter what else changes or doesn't change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home