The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Grand Central or Multiple Streams of Information?

I am a big fan of a couple of blogs dedicated to one topic, Retail Blog and Where's My Hat? I love the dependability of checking in on those sites and always getting an entry about a familiar topic. What type of customer will annoy Tim today? Where is Dan's hat? Even though, very occasionally, these blogs veer slightly off course, by and large, they are always about their chosen topic, and I think that's cool. Okay, I'm not being very articulate here, but you know what I mean.

Now, I also like blogs like mine that don't have much linking one entry to the next except that they all have one author. Finding out what's on people's minds from day to day is very satisfying and sometimes surprising. Frankly, I think that it's the easier way to blog. I can usually come up with something to say, whereas many days can go by between posts from Tim or Dan because, I imagine, they don't have anything to say about their topic on some days.

I have been toying with the idea of creating sister-blogs to the Bean Blog (how'd you like that? now you have two windows of the same exact thing, mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha) which would be topic dedicated as opposed to Whatever Piece of Crap Enters the Mind of Oz. I thought I might have a blog that was just about my Herculean efforts to get pregnant. I also thought about having a wedding photography blog, as weird shit always happens at weddings.

We have now arrived at my Question of the Day. Is this too much? Would I be stretching the genius of Oz too thin? Is it better just to have everything here, at Grand Central so to speak? Or would you, my loyal readers, like to have the storylines of my life separated into multiple streams of information? I would still keep and update daily (or as close to it as I can manage) the Bean Blog (he he, I did it again). But there would be one or two other topic dedicated blogs to compliment my random musings. Hmmm, it's a thought.

10 Comments:

  • I think that that is a very sensible thing to do. I've seen other profiles with more than one blog and it makes sense, especially if each blog has a very different and distinct topic. I had also thought about making a second blog, but I also write for a living, so I've pretty much used up all of my clever bits by the end of the day...You go, girl!

    By Blogger Trillian, at 12:50 PM, August 19, 2004  

  • You're absolutely right, Oz. Some days I have theater-related stuff to talk about, and others I don't. It's hard for me not to write something on those "off days", but I have to remind myself that people are reading my blog to learn about the theater, not about my take on minature, female gymnasts, or about the time I slept with one in college (shameless plug). Other days I just don't feel like writing, so I veg out and participate in some good ol' reality TV escapism.

    I've also tried to start other blogs, but I lost interest in them too quickly. I don't know... I guess I'm just a one-blog kinda guy... and I slept with a gymnast in college.

    By Blogger Dan, at 3:20 PM, August 19, 2004  

  • Trillian, I might just do it.....

    Oh Dan, please tell me it wasn't Kim Zimeskal (or however you spell her name). I had SUCH A CRUSH ON HER. And if YOU slept with her, oh my. Well, maybe it could be a good thing. You could share some details, and I could see if they match up with my fantasies. Or at least you could tell me if that Seinfeld episode was correct....

    By Blogger Oz, at 3:33 PM, August 19, 2004  

  • Personally, I'd keep everything together in one blog. It would be easier for you to maintain and it would also show how the different aspects of your life intertwine.

    By Blogger Newell, at 3:49 PM, August 19, 2004  

  • I think it all boils down to personal preference. Someone told that I should create a blog solely devoted to my teacher stories. Someone else said I should create one all about reviews I write. I decided not to do either, at least not at this point. I kinda like the fact that all different facets of my personality can be found in one place.

    To each "her" own I suppose.

    By Blogger Janet, at 6:32 PM, August 19, 2004  

  • Newell & Janet, I hear what you're saying about keeping everything in one place. I guess what I've noticed for myself is that things happen on the other fronts (like the photography and baby-making) and I never get around to blogging about them because I choose to blog about something else and then it's old news. Also, these things (especially the baby-making) have such specific paths that almost runs parallel to my "regular life." Really, it's like they have a life of their own.

    I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I think I might go ahead and create another blog. I won't avoid blogging about those topics on the Bean Blog. I wouldn't want it to be like you have to read all of my blogs to know what's going on. Rather, each will (hopefully) stand on its own but also be interconnected for people who care to read all of them. That's what I'm thinking right now anyway....

    By Blogger Oz, at 7:47 PM, August 19, 2004  

  • Before I started blogging I used to scoff at the whole phenomenon. "A bunch of self-centered people writing public diaries. Bah!" I had to start my own blog to see what an idiot I was, and how much fun it is to blog. Now I'm all for them, and I honestly think multiple blogs is a great idea. Just ranting about retail work wasn't enough; now I have my random thoughts blog and an upcoming one on my time overseas. I want to see more from you Oz, I think a wedding photo blog or anything you want to do will be riveting and very worthwhile. Okay, pep talk over. Can't wait to read 'em.

    By Blogger Tim, at 12:07 PM, August 20, 2004  

  • Tim, Hey, I didn't even notice that "a random blog" was you until you said you had a second blog. I figured it must be linked to the Retail Blog, so I checked out your links, and what did I find? More Tim! Cool, man.

    Well, I went ahead a did it and created a wedding photography blog. We'll see if it holds my interest....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 PM, August 20, 2004  

  • Frankly, I can't wait for you to get pregnant and start telling 'mama stories.' I've been doing the 'Oz gets pregnant' dance for you for awhile but I guess my steps aren't 'baby' enough...

    My vote is for all together...but then, what do I know of these things?

    By Blogger foxymama, at 3:12 PM, August 20, 2004  

  • Foxy, thanks for all the baby dancing, but put the tap shoes (or ballet shoes, or blue suede shoes, or whatever) away for a few weeks. I won't actually be trying for another 4 or 5 weeks, and I wouldn't want to use up your good mojo when nothing's going on!

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:46 PM, August 20, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home