The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Friday, July 02, 2004

Testing it Out

My grandparents used to drive down to North Carolina once a month to visit their son, my Uncle Tommy. The drive was about 700 miles, round trip. One time, the car started driving weird by the time they got to NC. They took it to a mechanic down there, and the mechanic told them that there was something seriously wrong with the engine, and they would have to put in a new engine--to the tune of a couple thousand dollars.

Now, my grandparents were raised during the Depression, and they don't like to let a dime out of their sight, let alone lay out $2000. My grandparents talked about this and then decided that they would drive the car some more to "test out the engine."

And drive it some more, they did. They drove back home. They drove to the store. They drove to see their friends and to do volunteer work. The next month, they drove back to North Carolina and then returned again. They've put another 60,000 miles on that car since the mechanic told them the engine was no good.

Now I have a running joke with my grandfather. I ask him, "How's the engine in the old Cadillac? Ready to get it fixed yet?" And he always laughs and says, "Not yet. We're still testing it out."

4 Comments:

  • Funny story. It also goes to show they don't make cars like they used to.

    By Blogger Janet, at 8:12 AM, July 03, 2004  

  • Good for your grandparents. I don't know how those rip-off artists sleep at night. [Probably on top of a pile of money.]

    By Blogger Chuck, at 3:39 PM, July 03, 2004  

  • that's so cute.. grandparents rock.

    By Blogger Jean, at 4:55 AM, July 04, 2004  

  • Thanks everyone. I started taking my grandfather's advice on car maintainance. For instance, I had a truck and when my friends drove it, they'd tell me that the clutch was about to go. My grandfather said to drive it until the transmission fell out LOL. It's been 40,000 miles, and the clutch hasn't been replaced yet.

    By Blogger Oz, at 11:45 AM, July 04, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home