The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Photo Shoot Update

I suppose I should update my "Cat O' Nine Tails" post with news on how the photo shoot went with actor boy. It was strange. First of all, I don't have a studio, and he was looking for headshots. At first, this didn't seem like a big deal to me. But then before the shoot, I went down to the local Barnes & Noble and flipped through a bunch of fashion magazines. Then I went up to the photography section and flipped through some How to do Portrait Photography books. Here's what I figured out: 1) the background is blank so as not to distract from the subject, 2) the subject is looking at the camera, and 3) no shadows on face or in background. All right. So for those not into photography, here's why a studio is by far the best way to accomplish these objectives: 1) if you're shooting outside, it's almost impossible to have the background be blank, 2) shooting outside makes the subject and photographer feel self-conscious, especially in posed photography situations and 3) if you shoot inside, without a studio and appropriate lights, there will be shadows everywhere and the crappy flash on your camera will wash out your subject. To top all of this off, I've never really done posed photography. I'm more of a catch-the-fleeting-moment-as-it-happens kind of photographer. Therefore, it doesn't come naturally to me to instruct my subject to turn this way or that way, do this or that.

All of that being said, it didn't go too badly. I definitely got some nice pictures of actor boy. However, I'm not sure they were good headshots because of all the reasons mentioned above. He got a couple of shots that he can use, and we'll see what happens. It was a good learning experience for me, and it didn't cost him anything.

On a side note, I responded to an online ad for someone searching for a wedding photographer. The woman wrote back to me and said the wedding was May 21, 2005. I was like, 200--FIVE? It hurt my brain just comtemplating keeping that date open for the next eleven months. I bowed out gracefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home