The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Sunday, June 27, 2004

No 24 Hour Home Depot?!

There used to be a 24 hour Home Depot down on the riverfront. They closed for 2 hours a year to reset their computers or something. Last night around 10:30pm, I realized that I'd bought bolts the wrong size. I really wanted to get the structure done last night. I'd started out thinking all I needed to do was put down some 1/4" plywood over the existing floor and cover it with the linoleum tile I'd picked out.

Then I realized that the floorboards in one corner of the room were rotten, and closer inspection revealed that the joists beneath them were rotten as well. This completely changed the scope of the problem, as now I had to cut out the rotten part of the floor, then the rotten part of the joist, put in a new section of joist, attach a sister board, and lay down some new sub-flooring. Oye vey. And what was I attaching my sister board with? Why, bolts of course. Bolts 1/2" too short. Dammit.

So 10:30pm and off we go to Home Depot, open 24 hours. Only, it was closed. It closed at 10pm. How rude. I'd have to leave the gaping hole in my floor and return to Home Depot after it opened at 8am. Which we did.

While waiting at the light to turn into the shopping center, the Bread Winner noticed a homeless man standing at the intersection with a sign, asking for food or money, I don't remember which. The Bread Winner mentioned that he had also been standing there last night at 10:45pm. It was now 11 hours later. That's a long time to stand there. Especially through the night. How much money/food could he get from midnight till 6am?

This triggered a memory of an IHOP down in Delaware where one-legged homeless people were known to beg. I remember the first one-legged beggar I saw standing under the IHOP sign. I thought for sure that must be a coincidence. Then on another day, I saw a different one-legged beggar there. I wondered, Did the one-legged beggars in Delaware take turns standing under the IHOP sign? Did they have an agreement amongst themselves?

But I digress. I want a 24 hour Home Depot again. I deserve it, and I can't be the only idiot who realizes at 10:30pm that she's bought bolts that are the wrong friggin length.

2 Comments:

  • Some of those places that say they are "Open 24 hours" try to trick you. They mean they are open for 24 hours during certain days of the week. For instance, they might open Friday at 6:00 a.m. and close at midnight on Saturday. Then they open again at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday. So technically, they are open 24 hours, but they are not open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Maybe you have one of those Home Depots.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 4:57 PM, June 28, 2004  

  • No, that's not it. They changed from being a 24 hour Home Depot to a....regular hour Home Depot? When they were a 24-hour Home Depot, I actually asked them about it, and they told me about the two hours a year they were closed. Thanks, though. It would have been great if they'd been open from 6am Friday to midnight Saturday--then they would have been open at 10:45pm Saturday night!

    By Blogger Oz, at 6:10 PM, June 28, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home