The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

My Period Arrives

Today is the first day of the rest of this menstrual cycle. I am sharing this information with you for one reason: the countdown begins for a July attempt to get pregnant. Even as my uterus sheds its lining, my ovaries are starting to kick into action, tickling about 20 follicles, and in 14-18 days, one follicle will become dominant and then spit out an egg. All of this will happen for certain. The question is whether or not John Doe will provide the other chromosome.

He hasn't told me one way or another. I got an encouraging email from him at the end of last week. He mentioned that he had been discussing my "proposal" with some friends. This means he is still considering the option. As I had anticipated receiving an outright NO, this keeps hope alive. In addition, his grandfather just passed away. Maybe the death of a Doe patriarch will make John Doe want to procreate. Or maybe the death will make John Doe think that this idea is outside his view of "family." (As an aside, his grandfather has been sick for a long time now, so his death was not a shock.)

I haven't asked John Doe how long he will need to decide. He's going to Italy for six weeks, starting in late July. So if he decides that he ultimately does want to do this, but tells me 19 days from now (when my egg is dead and gone), that means we'll have to wait until September. One way or another, I'll try in September--either his sperm or that of a sperm bank.

The Bread Winner and I have invited John Doe over for dinner next week with some mutual friends. I hope that he's reached a decision by then.

5 Comments:

  • Wow. This is big. I mean this is huge... Best of luck, Oz. I'm rootin' for ya.

    By Blogger Chuck, at 10:26 AM, June 23, 2004  

  • I laugh everytime you use the phrase "The Bread Winner." I can't help but want to use it too. LOL! Especially lately when I'm ticked off at him and thinking of him as The Bread Winner and nothing more. Grr.

    We, too, are planning on expanding the litter starting in September. I'd start now, except I have a once a year geek fest (aka DGate at DCon) that I'll be attending over Labor Day weekend. After that, I'll return once again to the role of human incubator.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 8:14 PM, June 23, 2004  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 9:19 AM, June 24, 2004  

  • Now both comments are here. How weird. Does your Geek Fest involve lots of drinking and drug use? LOL Why can't you be--what? two or three months pregnant and still go? So you throw up on your character sheet a few times. They'll understand LOL

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:45 AM, June 24, 2004  

  • Okay, first I removed my second post to look less stupid about posting twice, but since it left a little blurb saying I removed it, it didn't really make me look less stupid, did it? :P

    As for Geek Fest... I shamefully admit that it does involve a lot of drinking. In fact, it's the one time each year that I do drink. There's also the very late hours, the horrible food schedule and all sorts of other unhealthy (legal!) things going on. While I could forego the alcohol this year, I wouldn't feel quite right about going without sleep for 30+ hours, drinking caffeine, and eating whatever fast food I can find. And yes, I was this incredibly obsessive during my first pregnancy too. It all may be a moot point though, since I am seriously considering bowing out this year.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 3:03 PM, June 24, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home