The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Fun Times with Sewer Lines

I'm going to do something big and scary: replace the drainage line that goes out to the lovely Philadelphia sewer system. During the gas stove installation, my plumber neighbor had to go into the crawl space in my basement in order to disconnect the original gas line to the old stove. He looked at my drainage line and said, "See that hole there? You should do something about that." Hmmm, I said. These are serious pipes: cast iron, 4" diameter, and old and crusty and desperate to be replaced by shiney, white, plastic PVC. Putting PVC in is easy. Taking out that old cast iron crap is a pain in the ass.

Luckily for me, my neighbor was planning to replace the sewer lines in his rental property, two doors up from me. I offered my assistance, and I got to help him take out the drainage lines from that house. It actually looks easier than I thought. I just have to convince him to let me borrow his big ass pipe cutter, and I'll be all set.

As an aside, I just wanted to mention that I never had an inclination to do one damn thing for all the years I rented. Now that I own my house, I'm constantly working on it. What's that about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home