The Bean Blog (currently on hiatus)

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Eleventh Hour

I went to the dentist yesterday. Oh my god, the pain, THE PAIN. Okay, it was my own fault. I haven't been flossing. I haven't even been brushing very regularly. It used to be that all the sugar I ate put a little film on my teeth (sounds sexy, I know), and thereby encouraged me to brush every night before bed. Well, I gave up sugar about four months ago, and it's amazing what a difference it makes. But I must become dedicated to good dental hygeine again....or suffer the consequences. I even had her numb me for the "root scraping" (AGGHHH!), but it still hurt like a motherfucker. I shudder to think of what it would have felt like if I hadn't been numb. And then, she did the thing where she crammed these little cords soaked in antisceptic between my teeth and my gums (AAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!) and left them there for 10 minutes, oh no, why don't we do it for 15 minutes (KILL ME NOW!). I almost cried then. My eyes are getting moist thinking about it now.

The moral of this story: Floss is my friend.

3 Comments:

  • Ah yes, the dentist. I missed my appointment two months ago and they put me on the "call list." This means I will hear from them when someone else cancels an appointment, but since it's been 60 days and no word yet, I guess they hate me. That stands to reason after the last visit. They drilled my first-ever cavity and put a filling in. I too was scared into flossing, something I'd previously scoffed at. Damn you dental community! Damn yoooouuu!

    By Blogger Tim, at 2:14 PM, June 08, 2004  

  • Your first cavity? You lucky bastard. I hid the "It's time for your appointment" reminders from the dentist for about 5 years until I was 14. My mother wised up eventually (nothing like clinical depression to make you miss a few details) and dragged me to the dentist. Over the next year, I had 30 (count 'em, 30) cavities filled. You think that would have taught me a lesson....

    By Blogger Oz, at 3:03 PM, June 08, 2004  

  • I haven't been to the dentist in two years, as disturbing as that is. I pick up health insurance in a month, so I guess it's time to embrace the horror.

    By Blogger Chuck, at 12:53 PM, June 11, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home